Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We copied an aftermarket cam and had nissan install it and fked up our car

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down We copied an aftermarket cam and had nissan install it and fked up our car

Hey guys,
My friend has an aftermarket Cam Package in his 99' LS1 Camaro A4, and we installed the new pushrods, valve springs and the cam properly by ASE certified Techs here at our Nissan Dealership.
Anyway, After getting the car dyno tuned and driving it 100-200 miles, the engine started making noise like a rod-bearing going out. we removed the heads and found the LS1 oem lifters protrude and the lifters DESTROYED the camshaft.

What exactly happened? I have been reading that you HAVE to run LS7 lifters for this cam as the roller protrudes .050'' more than the ls1 lifters so that this doesnt happen. Is this true?

Last edited by 1SIKZ31; 06-06-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:29 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks sounds like 130 extra$ would have saved his motor
Old 06-05-2010, 04:29 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

installed the new pushrods, valve springs and the cam properly by ASE certified Techs here at our Nissan Dealership.
Just a small note, being ASE certified means absolutely nothing. I know ASE certified mechanics who couldn't distinguish their *** from another hole in the ground when it came to performance work. It's a different type of trade.

What length pushrod was used?
Was preload checked?
What TQ spec was used?

Too many variables to blame it on the lifters just yet.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Teching In

You sure the cam was installed properly?

Most Nissan dealer tech's probably don't work on many motors that have pushrods in them....Aren't all nisssan's OHC?

Pushrod length and lifter preload are vital for a aftermarklet camshaft.

Did they actually measure and determine correct pushrod length or just guess or go by what was suggested?
Old 06-05-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Damian
Just a small note, being ASE certified means absolutely nothing. I know ASE certified mechanics who couldn't distinguish their *** from another hole in the ground when it came to performance work. It's a different type of trade.

What length pushrod was used?
Was preload checked?
What TQ spec was used?

Too many variables to blame it on the lifters just yet.
Plus one lifter just failed or installed wrong

How do all the cam lobes look ?
Old 06-05-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the same lifters were used on the new cam, I would pull the cam and get the hardness on it checked. There may have been installation issues as well. Also, looks like the parts are pretty well mixed up, did you use an organizer when you swapped parts to keep things in proper position?
Old 06-05-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless my eyes are failing me, the cam in the picture is toast.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder how many miles where on the lifters.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SIKZ31
he cam properly by ASE certified Techs here at our Nissan Dealership.
Originally Posted by Damian
This.

You took it to a Nissan dealership and had their mechanics work on it!?!

I would bet money that was what caused the damage.. Not any kind of failure with parts due to age or wear. No way in HELL some mechanic at a dealership or regular mechanic would touch my car. ONLY mechanics that special in that kind of thing, such as shops like TSP and what not.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

You don't HAVE to run LS7 lifters on an aftermarket camshaft. If you wish to do so is on you. I'm running my stockers with my Vengeance cam and so far after 2yrs, numerous track passes, and maybe 10k miles they seem to be holding up just fine.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ms4 cam.. Stock lifters that had 100K miles on them when cam went in.. Ran it 16K hard miles with plenty of track passes. Not one problem with them, everything was perfect when I went back to stock at 116K miles and sold it.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Launching!

TSP R cam here with the stock LS^ lifters and no problems. I think it was in the installation and not the cam.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by toothdoc
TSP R cam here with the stock LS^ lifters and no problems. I think it was in the installation and not the cam.
, what was the PR length?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

1st Mistake: WHY on Gods green earth would you take a GM product to a Nissan dealership.
2nd Mistake: As stated before unless you have any experience working on HP engines you can have a king dingaling certification and fly a rocket to the moon but that doesn't do **** for ya does it.
3rd Mistake: How much research did you do on your own before taking it to Nissan. Other than they are 4 stroke engines they are 2 way different operating engines and I would NEVER let any nissan mechanic even change the oil on my engine.

I think that your project was doomed from day one. I hope you saved some money because if you didn't and over paid and didn't get a "deal" I think at this point I am going to hold the rest of whats on my mind. Good luck
Old 06-06-2010, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

this is probably a dumb question. i dont know anything about dealership shops, but do they warranty their work???
Old 06-06-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02*C5
1st Mistake: WHY on Gods green earth would you take a GM product to a Nissan dealership.
2nd Mistake: As stated before unless you have any experience working on HP engines you can have a king dingaling certification and fly a rocket to the moon but that doesn't do **** for ya does it.
3rd Mistake: How much research did you do on your own before taking it to Nissan. Other than they are 4 stroke engines they are 2 way different operating engines and I would NEVER let any nissan mechanic even change the oil on my engine.

I think that your project was doomed from day one. I hope you saved some money because if you didn't and over paid and didn't get a "deal" I think at this point I am going to hold the rest of whats on my mind. Good luck
Perfect, nothing to add.
Originally Posted by SSmoken
this is probably a dumb question. i dont know anything about dealership shops, but do they warranty their work???
I highly doubt it on a modified engine, they will probably blame stock lifters.
Worth a shot though.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Jumping to the conclusion that the Nissan dealership is at fault is bullshit. It's an easy out that you can jump on. It may or not be their fault. But like most threads on here people jump to a conclusion without all the facts.

I also want to know why you felt it was needed to put Texas Speed Cam Kit instead of just a cam failure?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Jumping to the conclusion that the Nissan dealership is at fault is bullshit. It's an easy out that you can jump on. It may or not be their fault. But like most threads on here people jump to a conclusion without all the facts.

I also want to know why you felt it was needed to put Texas Speed Cam Kit instead of just a cam failure?
Why would that NOT be the first assumption? It being a Nissan dealership is not what fist sent a flag up to me. The first flag was it was a dealership, period. If it were me it would have at least went to a GM dealer instead of a Nissan. Hell, at least they are still mostly dealing with pushrods.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Why would that NOT be the first assumption? It being a Nissan dealership is not what fist sent a flag up to me. The first flag was it was a dealership, period. If it were me it would have at least went to a GM dealer instead of a Nissan. Hell, at least they are still mostly dealing with pushrods.
Because you don't know a god damn thing about the mechanic doing the work.

Like I said it could or could not be the reason. Don't just assume something with not knowing all the facts. That is unless you aren't smart enough to make your own opinion.

Look at how many threads there are about getting bad tune and being a mechanical issue.

Just think that's all I am asking.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Because you don't know a god damn thing about the mechanic doing the work.

Like I said it could or could not be the reason. Don't just assume something with not knowing all the facts. That is unless you aren't smart enough to make your own opinion.

Look at how many threads there are about getting bad tune and being a mechanical issue.

Just think that's all I am asking.
I already that and while reading the OP that was my VERY FIRST thought. I don't just "fall in line".

Me "not knowing a god damn thing about the mechanic" is the EXACT reason why I think it was something he did wrong.

Could it be a mechanical failure, sure. But that is not what I would put my money on. It was my opinion on what caused this, just like you have your opinion. Calm down, sounds like you are the mechanic and taking personal offense to this, that or drive a Nissan.

Quick Reply: We copied an aftermarket cam and had nissan install it and fked up our car