Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me I didn't screw something up (compression Q)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me I didn't screw something up (compression Q)

I'm in the process of doing my cam swap and everything is going really well. I was turning over the engine with a ratchet on the crank pulley bolt and of course it's really difficult to turn it, but that's to be expected.

It just dawned on me though...I didn't take the spark plugs out, the guide I'm consulting never mentioned it, so when I turn the engine over with the rockers off, the valves aren't opening to let air escape, so is it blowing past my rings and causing damage? Or since the intake valve isn't opening to let new air in, is there no worries?

I hope this is a dumb question, as it just now hit me that I should;ve take the plugs out.

Thanks all!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

I can't imagine it is an issue I don't think you could turn it if it had enough compression to be harmful.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

I was thinking the same thing, it's just one of those things that as I was turning it I thought "uh oh".

I guess I'll find out in a day or two when I fire it back up.

Everything else has gone very smoothly.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gatsby
I'm in the process of doing my cam swap and everything is going really well. I was turning over the engine with a ratchet on the crank pulley bolt and of course it's really difficult to turn it, but that's to be expected.

It just dawned on me though...I didn't take the spark plugs out, the guide I'm consulting never mentioned it, so when I turn the engine over with the rockers off, the valves aren't opening to let air escape, so is it blowing past my rings and causing damage? Or since the intake valve isn't opening to let new air in, is there no worries?

I hope this is a dumb question, as it just now hit me that I should;ve take the plugs out.

Thanks all!
Turn to your hearts content........you CAN"T hurt it!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, you're fine.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks a bunch, I feel much better. I'd hate to do everything to spec and triple check and end up screwing up something stupid like that.

Have a nice day everyone.