Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 Rotating Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq4 Rotating Assembly

Hows it going, I usually just lurk around and gather information but this is somewhat urgent and i got the motor out and the machine shop is waiting for me to bring it in.
What i got is a 2004 Lq4 6.0L that is going into a 92 chevy 4x4.

I have cleaned the heads and replaced the lifters and the trays just for the hell of it. Well i wish i would have checked the bottom end, turns out a few rod bearings are trashed.

Id like to stay on my small budget, but i would also like to have it built to take my daily driving abuse.
I might need to get new rods if they cant be resized, are lq9 rod and pistons cheap? What would be a good choice of pistons, I wouldn't mind to gain a bit of compression, as long as it isn't absolutely necessary for 91-93 octane.
If rods are good, how much can i shave off the heads to get a safe compression ratio?
Right now i know the block is going to be dipped, honed, crank turned, polished, new cam bearings, new rod bearings, main bearings and arp rod bolts. new timing chain and new oil pump.
Advice, opinions, things im missing would help out! thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Sounds like you know what you want , i dont think you can resize powdered (cracked) rods tho , so i wouldnt even bother, you can get pretty cheap h beams ,need a .945 wrist pins size, use the factory piston and have it rebalanced (internally), lq4 compression is 9.4:1 so milled .060 or new pistons or ls1 heads lol.. but if your compression is too high in a heavy truck its probably gonna pull alot of timing..
Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackmagicturbo
Sounds like you know what you want , i dont think you can resize powdered (cracked) rods tho , so i wouldnt even bother, you can get pretty cheap h beams ,need a .945 wrist pins size, use the factory piston and have it rebalanced (internally), lq4 compression is 9.4:1 so milled .060 or new pistons or ls1 heads lol.. but if your compression is too high in a heavy truck its probably gonna pull alot of timing..
I was thinking of getting my compression around 10.1 like the lq9 which come in heavy *** escalades. What is cheap for h beam rods and wrist pins? Floating pins are alot better? way more expensive?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Launching!

your motor should of came with floating pistons? lq4 ls2 ? i thought only ls1 had press fit , if im wrong i apologize lol.. ive seen h beams for as low as 325 a set, ive made over 1000 horsepower on these rods with 7/16ths arp2000 rod bolts.. your 4x4 would probably wouldnt need that lol but imagine the possibilitys
Old 06-08-2010, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your motor should of came with floating pistons? lq4 ls2 ? i thought only ls1 had press fit , if im wrong i apologize lol.. ive seen h beams for as low as 325 a set, ive made over 1000 horsepower on these rods with 7/16ths arp2000 rod bolts.. your 4x4 would probably wouldnt need that lol but imagine the possibilitys
you really should think before you post....

first off, you can resize the rods, its common. it needs to be done when installing new rod bolts such as ARP's, or when a bearing is trashed. you just get over sized bearings.

second, the LQ9 and LS2 are the only ones with floating pins as far as GEN III motors go. im not sure about the GEN IV motors. appolagie accepted.

3rd, he said he has a budget, by the time he gets new rods, and has it balanced, he will have over 500 alone just in rods and balancing, that doesnt include the crank he has to have turned....

resize the rods, have the crank turned and mill the heads about .030 and run it. trust me, if the truck had a 350 TBI in it to begin with, a stock LQ4 will put a smile on your face.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Launching!

your right wont happen again Lol !! thanks for the correction..
Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Launching!

dont mean to thread jack, ive never seen a resized cracked rod . how do you cut the parting line ? to make the hole round again.. just wondering, thanks, oh yeah my bad the lq4 has the press fit rods..
Old 06-08-2010, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

dont mean to thread jack, ive never seen a resized cracked rod . how do you cut the parting line ? to make the hole round again.. just wondering, thanks, oh yeah my bad the lq4 has the press fit rods..
it doesnt get cut, the cap is torqued down and honed out untill it is round. usually .002 larger, and an over sized O/D bearing is installed. the over sized bearings come in various sizes for turned cranks as well. i just bought a set of .002 oversized O/D and .010 undersized I/D because i had the crank turned and the rods resized.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Launching!

oh i gotcha o.d. lol , yeah makes sense... thanks for the info..
Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bww3588
you really should think before you post....

first off, you can resize the rods, its common. it needs to be done when installing new rod bolts such as ARP's, or when a bearing is trashed. you just get over sized bearings.

second, the LQ9 and LS2 are the only ones with floating pins as far as GEN III motors go. im not sure about the GEN IV motors. appolagie accepted.

3rd, he said he has a budget, by the time he gets new rods, and has it balanced, he will have over 500 alone just in rods and balancing, that doesnt include the crank he has to have turned....

resize the rods, have the crank turned and mill the heads about .030 and run it. trust me, if the truck had a 350 TBI in it to begin with, a stock LQ4 will put a smile on your face.
Thanks for the input, i appreciate more people chiming in to get more idea's on the best/froogle way on rebuilding a bottom end with shot bearings, while at the same time doing things the right way so that i dont regret it later on, as i seem to drive things pretty hard.

milling the 317's would bring me to what ratio? Also do i use stock head gasket with the heads milled? Do you recommend any brand bearings?

I already drove it around the block with the lq4 with no o2s hooked up and no mass air hooked up and yes, it is a hell of a lot of nicer than tbi!

Quick Reply: Lq4 Rotating Assembly