Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block Clearencing Questions....Experts Inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 06:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Block Clearencing Questions....Experts Inside

I recently was over at the machine shop thats taking care on the finishing machine work on my darton 427 MID block. While I was there, I layed the crank in the block, put on a couple main caps, and installed one piston to see where the rod bolts would hit the bottom of the sleeve (Dave @ cartek-who i purchased the block from- informed me that the block might have to be clearenced slightly at the bottom of the bore due to the fact that the rod bolt would contact it). Sure enough, the rod bolt barely nicked the sleeve. I marked on every bore where the bolt hit and the machinist used the mill to make a small notch in the end of each bore....

My question is this: since we wanted to take off as little as possible on the bottom of the sleeve, we wound up with about .040 -.045 clearence between the rod bolt and the bottom of the sleeve. We thought that this would be enough, but I just wanted to ask if this was enough for my peice of mind.

The custom JE pistons we used reuired a tiny amount of clearencing as well just on the skirt to clear the counterweight. Once again, we didn't want to take very much off the skirt (this was a very very slight amount), so we set the clearence between the skirt and the counterweight to be about 0.040 as well. The machinist (who builds race motors for a living) thought that this was a good value. Any opinions out there? I've asked around and it looks to be a good value, but it never hurts to ask again to make sure...

I will be doing the final assembly soon...I really want to get this in the car and running soon

Thanks,
Conrad
Old 01-14-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds about right to me. What rods are you using?
Old 01-14-2004, 10:11 PM
8 Second Club

thanks...eagle 6 in h beam
Old 01-15-2004, 02:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FastBlackTA
I recently was over at the machine shop thats taking care on the finishing machine work on my darton 427 MID block. ....

My question is this: since we wanted to take off as little as possible on the bottom of the sleeve, we wound up with about .040 -.045 clearence between the rod bolt and the bottom of the sleeve. We thought that this would be enough, but I just wanted to ask if this was enough for my peice of mind.
Should be .050 min.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Good info. I have also hear as much as .100 minimum.