Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hotcam or Pacesetter Longtubes... which next??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hotcam or Pacesetter Longtubes... which next??

I will have some extra money to spend on my car from tax returns. My question is which should I spend it on? I wish I had enough for both but I don't. I can get the hotcam for $400 and the pacesetters for $450. About how much power will each of these give me by themselves with the mods in my sig? About how much will I have to pay for installation on each? Thanks to all in advance.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:23 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headers first, then cam.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree... don't waste your time getting a cam but no headers. Get the headers first, then go with the cam.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
I agree... don't waste your time getting a cam but no headers. Get the headers first, then go with the cam.
I wouldnt say its a waste. My car runs fine with manifolds. But i would get the headers first, if i were him. I did my cam for $250 total and it gave me more than headers would have. Now headers will have more bang for the buck and thats what my car is all about.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01Sidewinder
I will have some extra money to spend on my car from tax returns. My question is which should I spend it on? I wish I had enough for both but I don't. I can get the hotcam for $400 and the pacesetters for $450. About how much power will each of these give me by themselves with the mods in my sig? About how much will I have to pay for installation on each? Thanks to all in advance.
Buy a used cam and springs for $200 and the headers only for $250 and run true duals. Total invest for cam and headers= $450
Old 01-15-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Steve98Z
Buy a used cam and springs for $200 and the headers only for $250 and run true duals. Total invest for cam and headers= $450
That's good advice... that's what I did!
Old 01-15-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

IMO, there's nothing wrong with doing a cam with stock manifolds. The hotcam seems to work pretty well in this kind of application with its large exhaust duration.

Although not by design, I ran a hotcam-only with manifolds for about a year (my oil pump died and I figured it was a good time to do the cam at the same time as a new pump) and it was just fine. No dynos but car felt notably quicker, FWIW.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do it in either order; I got my cam first then the headers. But if you're going to do the cam first, I'd pick one with less intake/exhaust overlap than the Hotcam. A cam design like the Hotcam depends heavily on headers to make power. If doing the cam first, I'd look for a used TR220 or TR224 on a 114 LSA. If you really like the Hotcam, get the headers first.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Cal,
Maybe I'm off base, but I thought that the larger exhaust duration of the hotcam compensated to some extent for the reduced exhaust flow and scavenging when using stock manifolds, thereby making it a good choice with a "restrictive" exhaust.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Cal,
Maybe I'm off base, but I thought that the larger exhaust duration of the hotcam compensated to some extent for the reduced exhaust flow and scavenging when using stock manifolds, thereby making it a good choice with a "restrictive" exhaust.
That's what I thought too... that's why the LS6 cam, LPE GT2-3, and Hot Cam all have larger exhaust durations. It makes up for having a more restrictive exhaust coupled with a more free-flowing intake.

A reverse split would be the one that would be simply horrible without headers... traditional split wouldn't be so bad, but you still wouldn't get all you could out of any cam without the headers on there too.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Default agree

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Cal,
I agree and from what understand that is why GM designed it with so much exh. duration because of the restrictive factory exhaust. I could be wrong and have been before but I am almost positive this cam will work alot better than a standard or reverse split on stock manifolds..............
Old 01-15-2004, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

I did both at the same time. However, headers would be my first choice. I got my headers for $330 + shipping, and sold my catback to pay for a dr gas x pipe setup. I also wouldn't choose the hotcam though, because there are much better choices out there for $400 (ie. 918 springs, used cam). But different strokes for different folks. Its just generally common practice to do the boltons first so you make the most power with your cam. Otherwise, you'll have shitty drivability and only be making like 340-350rwhp with the hotcam thats perfectly capable of making 380rwhp with full boltons.

Peace,
Old 01-16-2004, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Question

I don't have time to install headers and wouldn't know where to start with a cam, so I need someone to install them for me. How much should it cost to get each installed?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01Sidewinder
I don't have time to install headers and wouldn't know where to start with a cam, so I need someone to install them for me. How much should it cost to get each installed?

Tell ya what I will sell you my Hotcam & springs for 200.00 and install it for 200.00. I see your in Ga. My shop is in Snellville. If you interested send me a PM. Ken