Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing LQ4 and have some oil pan ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Installing LQ4 and have some oil pan ?'s

I know that the factory 6.0 oil pan won't fit. What all do I need when I switch to the LS1 oil pan? I know I need the pan, gaskets, and I'm gonna go ahead and put a Melling oil pump in.

Also, I'll just have a cam with full bolt on's.

I was looking at Texas-Speed and Thunder Racing. What's up with the big price difference between the two on the Melling pumps. Texas Speed has them for $129 and TR is at $159 plus additional porting? Is the additional porting needed for my setup?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 AM

I believe you will need the pan, pickup tube, baffle, and windage tray. The wiindage tray may actually work, you just need to check for clearence.

As far as the porting, they say it reduces pressure loss and wasted HP in the pump as well as lowering oil temperatures. It may be just a scam but I installed a high volume ported in an engine I'm building. They do say that if you install a high volume pump, you cannot use the stock LS1 oil pan because the capacity is too low and there is a chance of running it dry before oil can be returned.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Ok. Anyone else? I know what the porting does. I was just asking if it was needed.

You shouldn't have any issues with the stock pan with your high volume pump. If you do run into this then you have an oil return problem and need to get that addressed. I know that there are several people running stock pans with high volume pumps. Most of them have "built" motors.

I really just need to know what is needed to switch it over.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running a Lingenfelter High Volume Oil Pump it works great!! my pressure is always above 60psi even at idle and also running stock oil pan with no problems!! Here is the link for the pump

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C54
Old 06-20-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 09camaro383
Im running a Lingenfelter High Volume Oil Pump it works great!! my pressure is always above 60psi even at idle and also running stock oil pan with no problems!! Here is the link for the pump

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C54
How long have you been running that pump? Do you beat on your engine a lot? That's a good price for an oil pump.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hcb1700
How long have you been running that pump? Do you beat on your engine a lot? That's a good price for an oil pump.
I drive my car like a nascar driver!! I had it for 6 months!! its a good price and a good pump i talk Lingenfelter and told me it has more volume then the Melling
pump. Milling has 18% and Lingenfelter has over 30% higher volume capacity pump than stock and 8/9 gear set with thicker gears!!
Old 06-20-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Looks very nice. I might have to check into that