Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Parts not worth changing to aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Parts not worth changing to aftermarket?

I'm gathering items for a full rebuild... i kinda just started the internals and heads. Setting up the car for performance and still daily transport. no donor car so im trying to gather info and see if its worth $65 for something I can find someone parting out for $10.

Example I have 317 heads with( all stock GM parts ) beehive spring, new retainers, new locks, new seats, valves, all of it was cleaned up the heads freshly milled... I plan to boost the car not much ( 9 - 15#s ). Now I understand high HP applications does require aftermarket parts but parts like locks and stock valves would I have to change That for stock head cylinder bore? I can see the springs rockers, rods, pushrods, pistons, bearrings, complete set of bolts ect... but would stock valves really make a difference over a set of almost $250 Manley?

same with pedestal rail, valley cover, front/rear cover, fuel rail... would stuff like that really need changing to aftermarket for up to 600hp +/- a few?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:36 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TehGODofGreen
I'm gathering items for a full rebuild... i kinda just started the internals and heads. Setting up the car for performance and still daily transport. no donor car so im trying to gather info and see if its worth $65 for something I can find someone parting out for $10.

Example I have 317 heads with( all stock GM parts ) beehive spring, new retainers, new locks, new seats, valves, all of it was cleaned up the heads freshly milled... I plan to boost the car not much ( 9 - 15#s ). Now I understand high HP applications does require aftermarket parts but parts like locks and stock valves would I have to change That for stock head cylinder bore? I can see the springs rockers, rods, pushrods, pistons, bearrings, complete set of bolts ect... but would stock valves really make a difference over a set of almost $250 Manley?

same with pedestal rail, valley cover, front/rear cover, fuel rail... would stuff like that really need changing to aftermarket for up to 600hp +/- a few?
Who told you all that stuff needed to be changed? Valves would be nice if they made your valvetrain lighter, but you are nearly looking at green apples to red apples with the Manley/Stock trade off.

I see what you are saying, and to a degree, no. Some of this stuff will not make a difference. It may look better, but certainly isnt req'd of a 600rwhp car.

Are these Manely valves stock sized?

for 600rwhp you are probably going to have to upgrade everything on the fuel system minus the stock tank. or modify at the very least.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Yeah fuel im 100% sure of I have a 3.8L busted so I know it would not hold to fuel demand.

stock size valves would be going in, suppose to be lighter than oem and shinny... tho no one would see the inside of the heads under the springs.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:05 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wait wait wait...Was this a V6 at one point?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Teching In

yes. doing full swap.