Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Main seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main seal

I'm looking to do a clutch job and while i'm ther replace the rear main seal and front trans seal to avoid repeat labor because i'm planning on keeping the car.

-I noticed on GMpartsdirect there's a rear main engine seal then a "rear main seal retainer" anyone know what that is and if i need to replace that? Is the rear main seal just a matter of removing the flywheel, using a pcik to get out and lining up a new one? Any reccomendations on installs?

-does anyone know the gm PN # for a front main trans seal on a T-56 6 speed, can't seem to find it. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I looked on compnine.com and saw no rear main seal retainer, just the rear main seal. I unfortunately did not replace mine when I swapped my clutch. I would imagine though it would come out with a pick. I cannot remember off the top of my head. Take that FWIW.

Are you planning on taking the front case off of the trans? The input shaft seal image can be found here. Item 006
Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Teching In

interesting, GM's diagram is different.:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

I forgot how much of a teardown is required for the front trans main seal, i'm thinkin i'm gonna skip that given i'm trying to knock the job out quick on a saturday.

Thanks for your help.