Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolts or studs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bolts or studs?

I am getting ready for a head-cam swap and was wondering if I should use GM headbolts or get ARP bolts or studs? TEA heads and TR224.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

GM head bolts are plenty satisfactory. ARP's may be a bit stronger than the OE bolts are. The studs will have the best clamping ability, but are not necessary by any means. If you plan on spray, go studs. The only pending issue with studs is sometimes they need a re-torquing sequence. That could be a PITA.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Studs all the way. If you ever have to take your heads off again studs makes it much easier - especially for cleanup.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Studs are regarded to be the best alternative, however, you'd have to drop the motor to change the heads out (not enough room) so most people go with the ARP bolts.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NDR PRSR
Studs are regarded to be the best alternative, however, you'd have to drop the motor to change the heads out (not enough room) so most people go with the ARP bolts.

I guess you have never changed heads on a LS1 motor with studs. There is more than enough room to put the heads on and take them back off with the studs in place. No need to drop the motor.

<---- Took heads off 3 times in car with studs.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Smoke T/A
I guess you have never changed heads on a LS1 motor with studs. There is more than enough room to put the heads on and take them back off with the studs in place. No need to drop the motor.

<---- Took heads off 3 times in car with studs.
Hmmm...you're right. When I was making this same decision, a couple shops talked me out of studs for that reason, and given how (relatively) tight the engine compartment is it sounded reasonable, but no, never used them.

I stand corrected.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I only use studs on the Head installs.They are stronger and I do not like torqing Head bolts into our blocks.The threads are never clean enough to give accurate torque stretch readings.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NDR PRSR
Hmmm...you're right. When I was making this same decision, a couple shops talked me out of studs for that reason, and given how (relatively) tight the engine compartment is it sounded reasonable, but no, never used them.

I stand corrected.
Sounds like they were just trying to make some more $$$ from you. Indeed it is tight but it can be done. Check this out HERE
Old 01-16-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the studs. You'll never have to worry about stripping the threads in the aluminum block or cleaning out the bolt holes.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I only use studs on the Head installs.They are stronger and I do not like torqing Head bolts into our blocks.The threads are never clean enough to give accurate torque stretch readings.
you are a stud