Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice about milled heads and PTV clearance

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice about milled heads and PTV clearance

I'm doing a head/cam package on my car and was wondering if anyone had done anything similar and if they needed to flycut. The specifics are as follows:

98 LS1 stock bottom end
241 castings, Fully ported and milled .030 using 2.02/1.55 valves
.040 gaskets
Comp Cams XER281HR 232/234 .595/.598

I'm hoping I can get by without flycutting but suppose I will if need be, that or switch to a smaller cam.

Last edited by ryle; 06-22-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:06 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you will have to flycut. I would definately measure to make sure, but with the .040" and milling the heads .030" clearance will be very tight.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what If I used a different gasket? something closer to stock?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:40 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO the heads are whats killing you more than anything else. Milled .030" with the bigger valves would be pretty close with a stock thickness gasket. If it did clear it would be closer on piston to valve then what is recommended.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well that sux! before I milled the heads I made a call to your shop. I told the rep what I was going to do and he told me that it would work out just fine and that you had just gotten done building something similar with milled heads and a cam in the low 23x range.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ryle
well that sux! before I milled the heads I made a call to your shop. I told the rep what I was going to do and he told me that it would work out just fine and that you had just gotten done building something similar with milled heads and a cam in the low 23x range.
That does suck. I think they should at least offer to exchange your cam for a smaller one that fits if you were informed that the cam they sold you would fit based on the information you gave. That would be the right thing to do.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would agree with you, but unfortunately I didn't end up buying the cam from them... I got it from a machine shop that got stuck with it when the other guy didn't pay up.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:16 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think with a 23x duration cam and heads milled .030, you better check.

IIRC recommended PTV is .080" intake and .100" exhaust. Not 100% sure, I'd ask a reputable LSX engine builder.

Since you are using a stock short block remember that your pistons have no valve reliefs.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh, I thought you bought the cam from TSP after they said it would be okay. Unfortunately, you're on your own now.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like always, we can make educated guesses at it, we always recommend (as John did in post #3 above) measuring to ensure you're safe. Unfortunately, there are too many variables in the combo, none of which our shop had any control of or hand in since nothing was purchased through us, to just assume clearance one way or another. Same as pushrod length, we can make an educated guess at it based on experience, but at the end of the day to do it correctly, you have to measure.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Like always, we can make educated guesses at it, we always recommend (as John did in post #3 above) measuring to ensure you're safe. Unfortunately, there are too many variables in the combo, none of which our shop had any control of or hand in since nothing was purchased through us, to just assume clearance one way or another. Same as pushrod length, we can make an educated guess at it based on experience, but at the end of the day to do it correctly, you have to measure.
I never said the shop had any control over any variables... all I said was that I had sought advice from your shop about the milling and was led to believe that it would not be a problem. Ultimately I realize that the responsibility falls on me as I did not have TSP or any other shop build my engine. Unfortunately, for those of us on a budget that can't afford to have a shop do a complete build, all we can do is rely upon the knowledge and experience of someone who has been working in the field for a while and use the information we gather from them to better our knowledge and hope that what we learn is correct information so we're not stuck spending a boat load of money to fix something that, according to the info received, should have worked in the first place.

On that note... information is readily available, but to trust just one source is a gamble. Looks like I might lose it this time
Old 06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are going to do it correctly you ALWAYS need to measure the P to V clearance...that way you KNOW what you are working with ... if you have to fly cut the pistons it is no big deal many guys on this forum have done it...
Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not worried about actually flycutting the pistons... it's more a matter of another lump of cash I gotta dish out...

Quick Reply: Need advice about milled heads and PTV clearance