Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 lq4 cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 lq4 cam swap

OK, I'm completely oblivious to internal engine mods. Never built one or looked into this in depth. There are so many different combinations you can have, I thought I knew where to start but heck the more I read the more confused I get. Not really confused but basically I start from scratch again.
I know this is mainly a car only site, but it seems there is more info here than performance trucks.net. Not bashing them but I cant get the answers I'm looking for over there.

Basically i've got a 2500hd, used for work and play 50/50. I'm not shy with the throttle what so ever. Motor right now is in stock form, with the exception of basic bolt on's and a tune. My next investment is a set of long tubes till I save up some coin to go further.

After long tubes i would like to throw in a cam. Which cam, heh, well you tell me. I've read posts, Google, hot rod mag, car craft mag but nothing really shows anything about a cam going in a truck like this. Everyone (from what i've seen so far) builds for the street/strip. I'm building to tow, have fun on the street, with reasonable driveability and to hook to a sled at the pulls.

what I originally planned to do was a TR or similar 224/227 cam with patriot gold duals, and titanium retainers, but the more I look into it, it might not be best for me. Being that the truck is heavy, around 6500 lbs generously, I'm told to build for torque, not hp. I know the best thing to do is just research best to my knowledge, and then try something out but I'd rather get it right, or at-least close the first time. Are the gold duals too much? I figured they would be good for redundancy. My goal is not set high, I just wanted to make it easier when something is hooked to it and have a little more fun while doing it. Stock form that motor is a pure workhorse, but when I add the cam, will this limit me on longevity? I don't wanna build something then have it destroyed because I kept old habits.

I apologize for such a long post but I just don't know what else to do. I've spent at least 50 hours reading articles trying to teach myself but its just not happening. Nobody I found builds a 2500 hd for similar to how I want to.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try looking at the LSr series from comp cams. They have many different grinds to choose from. http://www.compperformancegroupstore...de=GEN3CamsLSR