Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i think this is a simple question help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think this is a simple question help!

do i need to take off the motor to install a oil pan gasket? or i can do it from the bottom just unbolt all the bolts lower the oil pan then just installe the new oil pan gasket?...help plz
Old 07-03-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to say you have to remove the motor. The LS1 windage tray sits down into the pan so even if you dropped it fully I don't think you could get a gasket over it because how close the K member is, plus you need to RTV the corners. I don't think you could get the RTV to stick with oil still coming down. Whats wrong with your gasket that you need to replace it? You could support the motor with a jack and remove the K member I guess but thats a lot of work too.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

It's a big job!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...et-change.html
Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i reused the oil pan gasket so when i turn on the motor just for 3 seconds thens thers alot of oil spilling from where the oil filter is on top.. so made a big mistake on doing this know i learn thanks...so its time to redo removed everythingn just pick up the motor again...
Old 07-03-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

I almost did the same mistake of reusing the oil pan gasket!! Im glad i didn't cheap out and pay the 30 for the new gasket!!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by El_TransAm98
i reused the oil pan gasket so when i turn on the motor just for 3 seconds thens thers alot of oil spilling from where the oil filter is on top.. so made a big mistake on doing this know i learn thanks...so its time to redo removed everythingn just pick up the motor again...
Bummer. I got away with reusing mine. I never really had it all the way off though.

Just be certain it's not leaking from something other than the pan gasket before you dig in. Like, make sure it's not the filter gasket or any of those fittings right above the filter...or a cracked block
Old 07-04-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by El_TransAm98
do i need to take off the motor to install a oil pan gasket? or i can do it from the bottom just unbolt all the bolts lower the oil pan then just installe the new oil pan gasket?...help plz
If you've ever changed the oil on your car, you already know the answer.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pan will only drop a few inches before hitting the cradle. This will not be enough to replace the gasket because you have the oil pickup tube that sticks down in the front and the windage tray in the back. The engine will need to be lifted partway out or you'll have to support the engine and drop the cradle.