Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me pick a texas-speed cam

Old 07-04-2010, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me pick a texas-speed cam

i emailed a guy from texas speed and he never emailed me back, and i was like i'll just find somewhere else to buy one from, but i keep seeing good numbers on 228r cams.

now a choice between all these cams what would you pick from your own experience from texas-speed.

The car is a dd and t56 with 3.42 gears and has plans for boost later down the road.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the 228r cam from texas speed and picked up 6 mph from my hot cam. Cam idles great, no dipping and surging. Highly recommend this cam, it is very street friendly.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:23 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The 228r is a great cam. I see you've got nitrous in your sig. If you're planning on using the nitrous with the cam, I would look into a traditional split cam for a better application with the nitrous.

TSP's phone system works. Use it, and ask someone there to help you pick a cam for your application.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

appreciate it men. i'll try call soon 228r is winning the battle so far. I have nitrous on car right now, and plan for boost. So would the split cam still be suggested? if so how would my car be without nitrous or boost?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Banned

Why not give Engine Power Systems a call? Their cams are making silly power for the combos they're going into. MUCH better lobes than anything TSP has.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For nitrous, a split pattern duration seems to work well. For boost, a reverse split pattern is often used. You'll need to know up front which way you want to go.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

if i went with a TSP cam it would be their 233/239 cam or even their MS3 cam. the 228 is a very popular choice for being a good all around DD cam. but i would step up to atleast a TSP torquer v2.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the 228r cam on the 112 and love it! it has a nice lopey idle and pulls strong through the powerband. i gained 6 mph with just a cam change.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Is there a reason your only interested in a tsp cam? They make great cams but there are many other choices out there.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Give us a call and we can spec out a cam for you. I had a 228 cam in my 02 Z28 and it ran great for a DD. We can get you a pretty good deal on a cam. Give us a shout to see what we can do for you.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

i will give yall a call soon i'm not stuck on a particular one i just want an all around good cam that makes good numbers, and won't break the bank. I'm working on my engine right now, but who knows when it will be done. Thats why i wanna throw a cam in this car that i also can switch over. So i guess if the end i wanna go boost i need to choose boost cam. I just dont want my car to not have any *** cause it may be a year or longer till my engines done. I'm a budget modder, so gotta do it in steps lol
Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gopherit98
how much for a custom grind j/c
They usually cost the same as an off the shelf grind. Which is silly why people dont just spec cams per application. I wish I had the 228r out of my car so I can sell it. I would rather have a custom EPS cam myself.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
Why not give Engine Power Systems a call? Their cams are making silly power for the combos they're going into. MUCH better lobes than anything TSP has.
Does that get tiring to you? I figure you need an extra hour or so of sleep every night after the "work" you do every day on here.

OP: Give us a shout and we can get you setup! Contrary to some folks' beliefs, we can get all the same lobes our competitors can and then some! And we engine and chassis dyno test everything we offer, so we can give you real world results, not just theory that a calculator on our desktops spit out.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Does that get tiring to you? I figure you need an extra hour or so of sleep every night after the "work" you do every day on here.

OP: Give us a shout and we can get you setup! Contrary to some folks' beliefs, we can get all the same lobes our competitors can and then some! And we engine and chassis dyno test everything we offer, so we can give you real world results, not just theory that a calculator on our desktops spit out.

I thought the EPS lobes were still proprietary??? Are they not Matt??

They are actually a tweaked Comp LSL lobe. They are supposed to be very vavtrain friendly in addition to making good power...

I just ordered a cam from Geoff (EPS) to go in my 403 that is in the works....
Old 07-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned

Hey you have 50,000+ people on here swinging from YOUR nuts, why does it rile you up so much when someone doesn't? Contrary to some folks' beliefs, you don't have the best of everything! And I don't think you can get EPS lobes unless you order them through EPS.

And SOME people need to test every last thing on a dyno for hours and days and weeks to try to get the right answer, but SOME people are smart enough to get close through calculations and only need a few tweaks... just sayin'
Old 07-06-2010, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Not riled up, I get a good laugh almost every time you post!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why don't u go w the EPP blower cam or now it is the the brute speed blower cam. alot of guys run it NA n still pick up some serious hp/tq untill there ready to boostEd, I have the tsp 228r in my car now n I like how it pulls hard from low rpm all the way up to 6k, n when I put a fast 90/90 on top it really woke up. but I'm goin procharged so I'm pull the 228r n goin w the blower cam from brute speed. look it up n see some of the numbers it's making it sounds like what ur lookin for.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned

Not riled up, I get a good laugh almost every time you post!
You guys are half the reason I post here
Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

okay lets not fuss on here i'm giving all people a chance to see what they have and convince me. I'll give ya'll a call as well all i was worried about was power realation to boost cam, and riding n/a for a while. cause i had a 228 230 in my ss, and it seemed to be a good all around cam whether i was spraying or taking a weekend cruise

Last edited by gopherit98; 07-06-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

matt I emailed jon about a month ago how about i get in touch with you the first time i emailed him a had a budget at 10k, but i never heard back and ended up talking with a local shop. I'm going to call, and ask for you and see what we can work out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help me pick a texas-speed cam