Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring pressure questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spring pressure questions

I'm putting together a new combo and have some questions. (Yes I had a bunch before and was about to buy Crane 833's, but things have changed). I had a friend buy one of my other motors since I haven't been able to get that project far enough along to drive it. This is allowing me to spend a little more and put a 418 in my truck, then put the trucks forged 347 in to the Camaro when it's ready

On the Camaro's motor was a set of AFR 225's which I think I am now going to run on the 418 (at least for a while). This would allow me to keep it pump gas friendly (72cc head vs my current 62cc head). When I bought the AFR heads from Tony, we put light weight intake valves in them along with solid roller springs. Plan was to spin that other motor to 8,200. I pulled 2 springs out today and at 1.800" they were 141/142lbs. At 1.150 (.650 lift) they were 480/485. They were not in coil bind yet, and looked like they had some decent room. When I originally ordered, Tony knew I was going to be running a SR cam with aprox .650 lift. Waiting for him to call me tomorrow to know what max lift is on them (can't find them on their web page).

The new cam going in is fairly aggresive, 245 intake with .646 lift exhaust is a bit softer. I'm currently running CTS-V lifters and wondering if the springs on the AFR's will be fine, or should I buy a different set of springs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:07 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO, springs are too cheap to skimp on. Especially the amount of damage they can cause if they fail.

If it was your basic run of the mill lobe or camshaft, I'd say you could probably get away with reusing. But with a pretty peppy cam like that, I'd always feel better with a fresh set of springs. $350 spent on springs is better than $4000 spent on a motor.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The springs on the AFR heads are brand new. The heads have been sitting for 3 years and never run.

The spring pressures are most likely close to what they come out of the box since they have been sitting static at 1.80".. They have never even been warmed over by oil