Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad valveguide? I'm thinking yes. Need opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad valveguide? I'm thinking yes. Need opinions...

Long story short.
I have a new engine that smokes blue just at idle. Supposedly, the machinist refreshed the heads with new seals and a three angle valvejob. It's NOT the pcv and a compression test is good and balanced.

Anyways, I have oil on cyl #2 plug, so I was going to replace the seals. I got the springs off and noticed one of the valve stems has an ever so little amount of lateral play in the guide, where the other does not. I'm thinking this is a no brainer, but don't have a lot of experience with this.

Btw, the guy who did my motor mentioned that he didn't think the guides were replaced, because they never go bad. The motor that the heads came off of spun bearings and was oil starved on the top end if it matters.

I think I'm pulling the heads. Agree?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If a compression/leak down test checks out, then yes it's time to pull the heads and have a reputable machine shop experienced with LS cylinder heads check them out.

Over the years I've learned that not every machine shop is created equal, and just because they've been "buildin motors for fifffty dayum yeeeers" doesn't mean they know what they're doing with LSX engines.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, Damian, You speak the the truth!
Old 07-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Play in the valve guide is no good...like you said no brainer. Anyone tells you otherwise is not worth talking to. Do i little research on what needs to be right in the heads. Valve depth and valve guide clearance and even the angle the guide is set at is important. Personally anyone who would do such work i wouldn't trust anything else they did!

Look around your area and find a quality machine shop, they will be backed up for a month with work and expensive.

But you won't need to post up asking if the valve should wiggle!

It actually wiggles in the hole and you were told its normal?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

No, I was told by the guy who assembled it (who sent the heads off) that he's never seen the guides go bad, defending the machinist that did the heads. They are 2E heads (241's) from the Texas MTI that went out of business. Really nice portwork with stainless valves. Supposedly this other guy refreshed them with a 3 angle job on the valves. I wonder if any work was done at all other than the seals and springs. With 1000 miles since the work, how can I tell? I almost have them off the car... Btw, the car runs like a raped ape and other than smoking at idle was fine.