Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my ls1.. serious problem?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my ls1.. serious problem?

Ok I bought this ls1 and i discover a ear of the back of the block is missing:? when looking at the back of the block its missing the dowl pin on the left side,like where the dowl pin would go is gone. the block is not cracked or anything in those matters just missing the dowl pin and 1 bolt hole, will this be a serious problem, this is going on a 4l60e and in a 01silverado shooting for 395hp @crank.

The guy had told me that he had a 4l80e and could only fit 3 bolts and it never twisted or cracked anything in a camarao with 525hp@crank

Let me know some input i'd like to know if this is ok or what.

thank's in advanced.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Pictures of this would be helpful for giving advice.
The tough thing with this dowel-pin and bellhousing bolt hole missing is that you can still bolt it together and it most likely will work.
"But" those dowel-pins are very important. When Dial-Indicating a bell housing you deal with extremely precise measurements and a little goes a long way there. Not having that other dowel-pin can potentially cause unwanted vibrations in the clutch and pre-maturely worn out pilot-bearings and input shaft bearings.(because things arent aligned perfectly)
Not to mention the lack of clamping power from a missing fastener.
Its not a matter of how much power the previous owner claimed to have put down with the broken block, its more a matter that the block should have been repaired properly before being used-- and especially before being sold to you.
A skilled machine shop could maybe repair the damage........?
Others with more experience will offer advice im sure, but the above is my humble opinion...
Good luck
--Glenn
Old 07-09-2010, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Some of teh Chrysler v6 motors break the ear off the back of the blocks. I've seen it a couple times personally in my time working at a trans shop. We were able to have it welded back in place.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Teching In

guy said its been missing for since he had it.. (2months) so there is no finding the broken piece and having it put back on..

I will send pictures today

Search this Thread