Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the stock rockers have side-to-side play?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do the stock rockers have side-to-side play?

My brother installed his G5X2 cam in his car. After torquing down all the rockers and starting the car he noticed a tick. He removed the passenger valvecover and check the torque etc on all the rockers and they were fine. He then tried to wiggle the stock rockers and they'd wiggle side-to-side and we feel that's where his noise is coming from b/c only 3 out of the 8 would wiggle at all and the ones that did wiggle did so by quite a bit.

Basically, is there supposed to be side-to-side play in the entire rocker with it torqued to spec?
Old 01-18-2004, 06:30 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is very common, yes. Most of mine do the same thing, as have the rockers on most other ls1's i've seen.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, jmX.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is my car that my brother is talking about here. I installed the g5x2 cam and comp 921 valvesprings back in november. Did 4 heat cycles and drove it 400 miles before ever taking it above 6k. It had the noise from the initial start up though. It's a ticking noise that exist on startup and after warmed up. I pulled the valvecover off after I heard it the first time after installing the springs. There were no broken valvesprings, all of the rocker arms were torqued properly and I was not showing any missfires on any cylinders or any knock retard. The car still has PLENTY of power and doesn't miss a beat.

It just has a ticking noise that sounds like a rocker arm or a valvespring is slapping when the valve closes or something like that. One rocker arm where the noise is coming from moves from side to side more freely and is loud when I do it by hand and the rest of the rockers don't sound anything like it. Could the rocker be wearing out and causing this noise?

I have not drained my oil yet but I will tomororw to see if there are any needle bearings in the oil. Anyone else have this kind of noise after the comp921 valve spring install? Could it be "normal" valvetrain noise with these heavy duty springs?
Old 01-18-2004, 09:45 PM
I can shift faster than you.

As jmX mentioned, the stock rockers to have some side-to-side play in them. This is perfectly normal.

I have used the Comp 921s before on a few customer's car and the valvetrain noise was no different than other springs I have used.

Quick Reply: Do the stock rockers have side-to-side play?