Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing

I would like to get some advise on who I can have my rotating assembly balanced by in or around the Pittsburgh area. I have new GM crank, Scat H beams and JE pistons. I already have all the rods, pistons and rings done within 1/2 gram. All I need is to submit my numbers to the tech who will balance my crank. I have sent an Eagle crank to Eagle before for balancing where all I sent was the crank and my weight information on the pistons, rings and rods. Any ideas near PGH? Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:50 PM
9 Second Club

The shop needs to know more than just weights of the rods and pistons. In order to get a proper bob weight they need to know the weight of the big end, pin, rings, locks, pistons , oil weight. You should should take what you have to a shop and let them get the bob weights. Also take your balancer, and flywheel.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by N2O-ARMD
Also take your balancer, and flywheel.
I'm going to assume that we are talking about an LSx based engine, since this is in the Gen III Internals section of an LSx message board. If that is the case, there is no need for the flywheel and balancer when balancing the crank. The LSx engines are internally balanced.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
I'm going to assume that we are talking about an LSx based engine, since this is in the Gen III Internals section of an LSx message board. If that is the case, there is no need for the flywheel and balancer when balancing the crank. The LSx engines are internally balanced.
Its always a good idea to check the assembly with the balancer and flywheel that's how we check all our rotating assembly's you would be surprised how many are not balanced correctly. You are correct you don't need them but if your getting it balanced have them checked.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 AM

Default Re

Thanks for the advice but I already know the complete info I am required to have. I agree with the sending the FW and balcance, just not mentioned above. I have all of the required weights on a balance sheet (done this a few times before). Included are each piston, ring set, pin, spirolox set, weight of big end, small end, weight of whole rods, oil, bearings, etc. I have all the required information needed to send to the shop for calculating the bobweight. I just need a shop who does it near Pittsburgh. This is all I wanted to know.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:01 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by N2O-ARMD
Its always a good idea to check the assembly with the balancer and flywheel that's how we check all our rotating assembly's you would be surprised how many are not balanced correctly. You are correct you don't need them but if your getting it balanced have them checked.
How have you determined how far off they were?