Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which PP head for me??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which PP head for me??

I'm looking to add a h/c package from TSP to my car and I've been talking to them as well as Terry (?) from Patriot Performance and I've almost got my selection narrowed down.

This is where I'm at:

I'm going to go with the TSP 231/237 cam and Stage 2 LS6 heads. I'm stuck between the 59cc and the 64cc combustion chambers though. I'm NOT going to run Nitrous through this setup and I plan on changing from mac's to LT's as well.

Which head would you guys reccomend and why??

thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 12:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally id recommend the S2 5.3 heads over the ls6 style heads right now...only because nobody has put up huge #'s with those heads over the 5.3's yet...with that cam and all the bolt on's you should still be able to hit 430-440 at the wheels and save yourself a few hundred in the process.

lata
Bill
Old 01-19-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by foff667
personally id recommend the S2 5.3 heads over the ls6 style heads right now...only because nobody has put up huge #'s with those heads over the 5.3's yet...with that cam and all the bolt on's you should still be able to hit 430-440 at the wheels and save yourself a few hundred in the process.

lata
Bill

Except for Gomer who went from 5.3s to LS6s using a TSP 231/237. Im sure he will chime in soon he was at 450 hp. Heres his dyno graph.

Im not sure what combo his old numbers were he will have to fill you in on that.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

yet there are a bunch of guys running with the 5.3's and those heads putting up 440 ask tsp about that theyve install and dynoed a bunch of them into the 440 range.

lata
Bill
Old 01-19-2004, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foff667
yet there are a bunch of guys running with the 5.3's and those heads putting up 440 ask tsp about that theyve install and dynoed a bunch of them into the 440 range.

lata
Bill

THe only 440+ cars I have seen were with the 6.0/ls6 style heads. I would pick those up if you are looking for max gains. There maby 5.3 headed cars making those #`s and just not posting it anywhere but I can only go by what I have seen posted
Old 01-19-2004, 01:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

6 months ago tsp did a dyno with a Z that had hooker LT's TSP ported TB, ls6 intake, TSP lid, 231/237 cam, S2 5.3 heads & asp pulley and did 441rwhp, 401tq they got flamed pretty bad back then and have since had a few other cars in that range...im sure at some point they will chime in...dont get me wrong the ls6 heads im sure are good but still not proving to be worth $400 extra in my eyes.

lata
bill
Old 01-19-2004, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by maddboost
Except for Gomer who went from 5.3s to LS6s using a TSP 231/237. Im sure he will chime in soon he was at 450 hp. Heres his dyno graph.

Im not sure what combo his old numbers were he will have to fill you in on that.
The old combo was a TR220 and stage II 5.3 heads, the only difference between those two graphs was switching the TR220 and 5.3's for the LS6 style and the TSP231/237 cam. The LS6 style is worth around 10rwhp or so on a max effort setup IMO.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

so there ya have it 10hp and 2ft lbs...but keep in mind i think gomer still has just the mail tune from tsp so he'd probably gain some more with a custom tune...IMO it aint worth the extra cash but thats me.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if they are only worth 10 rwhp where are you going to get that 10 hp later? 500 dollar water pump? a 900 lsx intake? once you have all the mods it is not that easy to grab an extra 10 hp. Plus even if you do those other mods to get extra hp you still could have 10 more by getting the ls6 style head in thefirst place. But thats just my opinion.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by offaxis
Even if they are only worth 10 rwhp where are you going to get that 10 hp later? 500 dollar water pump? a 900 lsx intake? once you have all the mods it is not that easy to grab an extra 10 hp. Plus even if you do those other mods to get extra hp you still could have 10 more by getting the ls6 style head in thefirst place. But thats just my opinion.
I would do almost anything to get an extra 15rwhp right now...
Old 01-19-2004, 06:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Patriot stage II LS6-style cylinder heads make some excellent power. The 59cc combustion chamber will net right at 11.1:1 CR vs. the 64cc chamber that will put you in the viscinity of 10.5:1 CR. If you have access to 93 octane pump gas, then you will be fine with some good tuning with the 59cc chambers. I ran 11.1:1 CR on my heads/cam SS on 92 pump gas with no problems. There's no doubt that the stage II 5.3L cylinder heads put down some great power, especially for the $1295 price tag! If you are going for a max-effort setup, the LS6-style cylinder heads will be worth 5-10 RWHP more (depending on other mods) with stock cubes. The LS6-style heads also give you a LOT more growing room down the road should you ever decide to build a larger cid engine. The 5.3L heads work great on a stock-cid setup, but they will become a limiting factor with added cubes. The LS6-style heads will give you plenty of growing room. One of the guys on the Corvette board put down 467 RWHP with the 231/237, Patriot stage II LS6-style cylinder heads, and all of the other appropriate bolt-ons. As mentioned, it does get harder and harder to get an extra 10 HP when you've performed every other modification.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 01-19-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
The Patriot stage II LS6-style cylinder heads make some excellent power. The 59cc combustion chamber will net right at 11.1:1 CR vs. the 64cc chamber that will put you in the viscinity of 10.5:1 CR. If you have access to 93 octane pump gas, then you will be fine with some good tuning with the 59cc chambers. I ran 11.1:1 CR on my heads/cam SS on 92 pump gas with no problems. There's no doubt that the stage II 5.3L cylinder heads put down some great power, especially for the $1295 price tag! If you are going for a max-effort setup, the LS6-style cylinder heads will be worth 5-10 RWHP more (depending on other mods) with stock cubes. The LS6-style heads also give you a LOT more growing room down the road should you ever decide to build a larger cid engine. The 5.3L heads work great on a stock-cid setup, but they will become a limiting factor with added cubes. The LS6-style heads will give you plenty of growing room. One of the guys on the Corvette board put down 467 RWHP with the 231/237, Patriot stage II LS6-style cylinder heads, and all of the other appropriate bolt-ons. As mentioned, it does get harder and harder to get an extra 10 HP when you've performed every other modification.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Trevor
Well the only gas my car gets is Hess 93 octane and I plan on getting it professionally dyno tuned. I'm gonna keep it N/A with no nitrous or FI.

Bigger cubes... like a stroker kit... hmmm that might be in the future after everything else since that's like 4k

Thanks everyone for the great replies especially Trevor. You guys are great there at TSP.

PLease forgive my ignorance but I'm still a little cloudy about the 59 v/s 64 cc. I know that the 59 cc will raise compression and I"m pretty sure that's a good thing since it means more power. I'm just wondering why they offer the multiple sizes other than to confuse the hell out of me
Old 01-19-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by offaxis
I agree, if u are planning to get more mods down the line, go with the LS6's. I would also go with the 59 cc chambers also to get more squeeze out of it.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Rice Eater 316 - Patriot offers multiple chamber sizes on their LS6-style cylinder heads so consumers can have a great head, no matter their setup. If you're looking to build a turbo or supercharged engine, you can go with the 72cc chamber to lower compression. If you're looking to raise compression just a few tenths of a point, then the 64cc chamber will work great. And, if you're looking for the most power possible N/A while still wanting to run pump gas, then the 59cc chamber is best. Patriot Performance is the only cylinder head company that allows you to pick your combustion chamber size without ever having to mill the cylinder heads! When you cut a cylinder head, it reduces your piston-to-valve clearance. For instance, you can net 11.1:1 CR with a set of 5.3L cylinder heads if you shave them .030". However, that's .030" lost for p-to-v clearance, so it will limit you when picking a camshaft for your setup. You'd have to cut valve reliefs in your pistons to run a cam like the TSP 231/237. With the Patriot stage II LS6-style cylinder heads, you can run 11+:1 compression without reducing your piston-to-valve clearance.

Let me know if you have any other questions. We're always more than happy to help with any questions that you may have.

Trevor
Old 01-20-2004, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Rice Eater 316 - Patriot offers multiple chamber sizes on their LS6-style cylinder heads so consumers can have a great head, no matter their setup. If you're looking to build a turbo or supercharged engine, you can go with the 72cc chamber to lower compression. If you're looking to raise compression just a few tenths of a point, then the 64cc chamber will work great. And, if you're looking for the most power possible N/A while still wanting to run pump gas, then the 59cc chamber is best. Patriot Performance is the only cylinder head company that allows you to pick your combustion chamber size without ever having to mill the cylinder heads! When you cut a cylinder head, it reduces your piston-to-valve clearance. For instance, you can net 11.1:1 CR with a set of 5.3L cylinder heads if you shave them .030". However, that's .030" lost for p-to-v clearance, so it will limit you when picking a camshaft for your setup. You'd have to cut valve reliefs in your pistons to run a cam like the TSP 231/237. With the Patriot stage II LS6-style cylinder heads, you can run 11+:1 compression without reducing your piston-to-valve clearance.

Let me know if you have any other questions. We're always more than happy to help with any questions that you may have.

Trevor
Any issues with the 11.1:1 CR out here in the Texas heat even with a good tune and 93 octane?

Also .. with the 5.3 heads, do you need different valve covers and what is the normal compression with the 5.3 heads? How are the PP Stage II LS1 heads (5.7)?

thanks,
Crowley
Old 01-20-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Trevor
Thanks Trevor,
that's the answer I've been looking for

You guys are great

Sent you a PM as well
Old 01-20-2004, 01:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

no problem I've already sent you a PM back.

Let us know if any of you have any other questions or concerns.

Trevor
Old 01-26-2004, 09:00 PM
KSB
Teching In

Trevor, Your information is quite helpful, I would also be very interested in the answers you provided to CROWLEY's ?'s concerning PP 5.3 stage II heads. If you could post or E-mail would appreciate.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gomer
The old combo was a TR220 and stage II 5.3 heads, the only difference between those two graphs was switching the TR220 and 5.3's for the LS6 style and the TSP231/237 cam. The LS6 style is worth around 10rwhp or so on a max effort setup IMO.

There is something wrong with the dyno graph. HP and TQ should always cross at 5,250. Gomer's second run with the LS6 style heads and the TSP 231/237 crosses at 5,700 or so. Something is not right with that picture.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bowtieman4life, take a look at the vertical axes on the left and right of the graphs, they aren't the same. That skew the curves so that apparently "cross" at something besides 5250 (it's actually 5252 according to the equation - but what's 2 rpm between racers ) Torque and hp ARE equal at 5250. Whether the curves cross or not at that point is a function of the scaling of the axes. HTH