Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Water Temp Gauge. Gauge Reads Cold, Car Seems Hot??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow After Market Water Temp Gauge. Gauge Reads Cold, Car Seems Hot??

So I made a thread in the external section jsut wanted to get some more feed back from this group..

I have an aftermarket water temp. Gauge reads cold compared to what the OEM sensor says.. If you click the links one is for how my gauge reads cold and the other says that my car is hot

All info can be found in these 2 threads about my car, my LO and HI fans.

Well for the sake of reading here's the jist of it. I have an UDP, chrs1313 Ram Air and a 160 T-stat

For starters I have a 160ºF T-stat and I have LEDs for my fans (manual switch) When I got my car tuned, my tuner turned my LOW fan to come on at 190ºF and to turn off at 180ºF. My HIGH fan to turn on at 210ºF off at 200ºF. Again I have a manual fan switch (tapped into the PCM) that tell me when the computer is turning on my fans. Once my car hits 190ºF my computer turn on my LOW fan, being light up by my green LED

So here we go now. The stock water temp sensor is located in the front of the drivers side head. And my aftermarket water temp sensor is located in the back of the passenger side head. Is it possible to get 2 different readings? Which way does the coolant flow? Where does it start, and where does it end?

With my aftermarket temp reading, when my LOW fan turns on, again visually I can see it with my green LED I know the car is at 190ºF. But my aftermarket water temp says that my car is at 155ºF; a difference of 35ºF... Is that possible? Remeber I have a 160ºF T-stat...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post13609957

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...tter-side.html
Old 07-17-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a weekened bump
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

anyone?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When you installed the sensor in the head did you use any teflon tape on the threads?Might not be getting a good ground if you did.The brass adapter that the sensor screws into the head should be tapered threads,so no sealant or teflon tape is needed.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Update

hey Elmer. There is no teflon tape on the sending unit. Only a crush washer

Well after figuring out the coolant flow, I have established that my cars coolant system is perfectly fine.

The passenger side head is on the suction side of the water pump making the coolant cooler when it hits the aftermarket sensor. So my water temperature gague is reading correctly. Yesterday it was about 84ºF outside, my aftermarket water temp gague was reading about 185ºF.

Now the drivers side head is on the discharge side, so the coolant gets heated up before it gets to the head and reads higher. Hence why my LO fan is on the majority of the time. And we know the sensor for the fans on the drivers side head is what sends a signal to the PCM to turn the fans on.

So there is my 35ºF temperature difference. And according to my buddies aftermarket water temp gague and chrs1313 aftermarket water temp gague mine is reading correct

And I challenge you all to see when your fans are running. If you have gotten the tuned to come on earlier you will see..

So for me my LO comes on at 190ºF and turns off at 180ºF.. My HI turns on at 210ºF and off at 200ºF

LO= both fans spinning (1 speed)
HI= both fans spinning (2 speed)
Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coolant should be going into the block from the front, majority of it going to the back of the block, up into the head, and working it's way back to the water pump. Both sides. You would get a slightly lower reading on the back of the head since the coolant has not gone through the head yet, where it picks up most of its heat.

Quick Reply: After Market Water Temp Gauge. Gauge Reads Cold, Car Seems Hot??