Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to find what cc piston I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default How to find what cc piston I need?

So I'm planning out a FI built. I'm thinking an LS1 block resleeved to be a 402 with forged pistons and rods and maybe a forged crank. I'm planning on an F-1C procharger as well (Maybe an F-1A) and I'm not sure how I would calculate what kind of pistons I'd need. First of all, what brand would be best? I had it narrowed down to either Wiseco or Diamond, which is better in your opinion, and why? And how do I find out what cc I'd need? I know the engine needs to be low compression, and I was looking at either getting some LS6 heads ported or doing some Patriot LQ9 Stage II heads (kinda leaning towards those). Is there some kind of formula that can help me figure this stuff out? I hate having to ask questions like this, I prefer finding answers on my own

Thanks guys!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

google a engine compression calculator.

What compression do you plan on running?

You need to know what heads, what gasket and how much in the hole your piston will be. Then plug in piston cc until you get the desired compression.

there is a formula but wither way you need to know the other variable for it to work
Old 07-18-2010, 01:40 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's nothing wrong with educating yourself, but in regards to selecting engine pieces and assembling an engine I would consult a professional. In regards to helping you'll need to find a compression ratio calculator. You can set all of the variables, then change one at a time to notice the differences.

If I was building something like you are on a relative budget I am guessing by the heads I would go with something along the lines of a 4.125 bore, 4 inch stroke, 6.125 rod, TFS 220 as cast heads, 1/2 head studs, main studs, and a GM MLS gasket. Again, I would consult an engine builder.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Nah, not really on a huge budget, if I was on a budget, I wouldn't even bother beginning a project like this. As for selecting the engine pieces and building the engine, I've already done too much work and reading to leave it to a professional. I want to know exactly whats makes up my engine, why I went with that part over another similar one, and I want to be on top of everything. This isn't going to start for a little bit but at this point I'm just trying to learn as much as possible
Old 07-20-2010, 03:09 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Nah, not really on a huge budget, if I was on a budget, I wouldn't even bother beginning a project like this. As for selecting the engine pieces and building the engine, I've already done too much work and reading to leave it to a professional. I want to know exactly whats makes up my engine, why I went with that part over another similar one, and I want to be on top of everything. This isn't going to start for a little bit but at this point I'm just trying to learn as much as possible
If you plan on assembling this yourself there is no problem with wanting to know absolutely everything in it down to the details. If you are simply attempting to select components there is a certain knack for knowing what components from what companies work better than others in certain applications. Get a build sheet from a reputable engine builder and there you go. If you are asking what piston brand is the best you most definetly aren't in the knowledgable category.

Good luck MICing a piston or setting bearing clearances by yourself. It is way more complicated than it seems. You can read about things as much as you want, but when it comes time to assemble something it is all on you. The main question I have for you is if you mess something up internally and waste your whole engine are you OK with that? That is one expensive loss that may not even be a lesson because you possibly won't find out what failed.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
If you plan on assembling this yourself there is no problem with wanting to know absolutely everything in it down to the details. If you are simply attempting to select components there is a certain knack for knowing what components from what companies work better than others in certain applications. Get a build sheet from a reputable engine builder and there you go. If you are asking what piston brand is the best you most definetly aren't in the knowledgable category.

Good luck MICing a piston or setting bearing clearances by yourself. It is way more complicated than it seems. You can read about things as much as you want, but when it comes time to assemble something it is all on you. The main question I have for you is if you mess something up internally and waste your whole engine are you OK with that? That is one expensive loss that may not even be a lesson because you possibly won't find out what failed.
I try to refrain from asking 'what product is best' questions, and in this case I only wanted to know between Wiseco or Diamond which one would be better for FI. I've been told to avoid Dished Mahles. And no, I don't plan on doing this on my own in a sloppy manner. I also understand the difference between reading and doing. Doing is light years ahead when it comes to gaining experience over reading. I already know a guy who built an LS3 and did a few things wrong and ruined his engine and wasted about 11k or so since he had to get a new engine, built the right time. I don't intend on making that same mistake. I'd rather not type out all of how I'm going about this entire project, I just needed to know to look for a compression calculator. I'm looking at pistons to get an idea of cost at this point, not to select what Im going with. Thanks for your guys's help though
Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Compression ratio calculator:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html