Sponsored by:

Built 370 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Built 370 Oil Leak

Hello All,

I just got my 370 done and fired up for the first time the other day. I have an oil leak that I first thought was maybe the passenger side valve cover gasket. I took it off and put the gasket back in thinking it was pinched or out of the groove or something. I thought for sure it was from this side as the starter bolts had oil dripping off of them. I started it and I didn't notice any leaks.

I drove it to the track last night and parked it when I got home. Had a ton of oil underneath it this morning. I ruled out a valve cover gasket leaking this time as there is no oil around it. I pulled the intake off thinking it was maybe the sending unit leaking or something back there. I can't find anything.

Now, I was looking up at the back of the motor from on the ground and I noticed some oil residue on the head gasket tab that sticks out between the head and the block. Is it possible for these motors to leak oil from the head gasket? Does that necessarily mean it is blown?

The only thing else I see is that the front of the pan has some oil residue on it too. I am wondering with the radiator fan and all the air moving through there is blowing this oil all over the place making it hard to find the leak. I do know that it probably leaks a little there...and I am hoping that it is just blowing it all to the back of the motor. I would really hate to have to replace head gasket on brand new motor. It has the LS9 gaskets. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need to clean all the oily residue and run it ,and watch it closely.if it is coming from the front of the oil pan you will see it.