Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceptable gap on oil rings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Acceptable gap on oil rings?

I've got a 4.005" bore LQ9 block that I'm building. I gapped the top & 2nd rings and all went well. Where I'm running into a bit of concern is with my oil rings. The info that came with my Wiseco rings just said that they need to be greater than 10 thousands gap... but a couple are WAY bigger than that.

Most of the ones that I measured came out between .0013 and .0022, but one set measured greater than .0035... that seems awful loose to me. What prompted me to check all of these in the first place is that 1 of my 8 sets of rings had a different part number, and the oiling rings look a little different too. The top & second rings from both sets were fine, but I can't help but wonder if these oil rings were intended for a smaller bore.

You can see the differences here. This is what 7 of the 8 sets look like:

This is what the oddball looks like. Notice that the expander is a different size & color, and the rings themselves have a slightly different appearance. The smaller part number on the package is also different:

Opinions?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:26 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.015-.030 is a range to shoot for. Oil rings are usually loose. What is the tension on them? 12lb+ or what?