Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam question for the experts

Old 07-24-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam question for the experts

I am looking at a comp cam for my ls1. My engine has CAI, P&P throttle body, emissions removed, off road long tube headers with a 4" collector and x pipe, and the engine has been tuned. The cam i am looking at has 246 intake, 254 exhaust .613/.254 112 LSA. With this be a decent cam? I am looking for a little rumble with the idle but its also a DD and i am not into drag racing, more into auto cross events.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing you meant .654 on the exhaust side?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that cam too big for a 346ci motor?

If not, it's still ridiculously big for a dd imo...
Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you do not want that cam way too big for what you are looking for.what cam do you have now?what transmission do you have?what gear?you mite need a retune with a cam change.contact Patrick-G for a cam.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's pretty much a racing cam (think as was said the exhaust lift spec is messed up). I would reconsider, there are better cams available for daily drivers.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garygnu
you do not want that cam way too big for what you are looking for.what cam do you have now?what transmission do you have?what gear?you mite need a retune with a cam change.contact Patrick-G for a cam.
x2, that cam is huge. I doubt it will clear the pistons. Also there's no 'might' to it, you need a tune when you swap cams.

Originally Posted by batboy
That's pretty much a racing cam (think as was said the exhaust lift spec is messed up). I would reconsider, there are better cams available for daily drivers.
the exhaust lift was definitely messed up, but yes, this cam is much better suited for full drag race applications.

OP, if you want a cam that will work for you, don't just look for big numbers and think that's the best setup. There's a wealth of knowledge available on this board and a million cam threads, go to the search feature and read, read, read.

As I, and others have said, that cam is ridiculous, and I doubt it will have adequate piston to valve clearance. For an Auto-X'er you're going to want a more broad powerband, great valve control, and something far less peaky... I'd suggest you contact Geoff at EPS, his cams are not huge and have delivered for just about everyone running them. Valve control characteristics are superb and the powerband is very broad. Contact him at http://www.engpwrsys.com.

Search this Thread