Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you tap the LS1 valley pan for a PCV system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you tap the LS1 valley pan for a PCV system?

I'm in the process of planning out this 6.0L build, and I really am trying to make the engine bay as clean as possible by removing as much as possible.

I want to run some fabricated valve covers that don't have any vacuum fittings in them, which means I'm going to need to run some sort of PCV catch can setup.

I am wondering if it is possible to put a -AN fitting in the back of the valley pan and run lines up to a catch can hidden down where my AIR pump used to be.

And then can I just vent the catch can, and not have to run back through to the TB? I know I can run a breather on the valve covers, but I'd prefer to not have any breathers, just a small oil cap.

I guess I could also put some -AN fittings in the back of the valve covers and run them to a catch can, but if I can tap the valley pan and be done with it, that would be a bonus for me!

What do you guys think?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Hi , i am pretty sure that can be done because i saw a valley plate cover that someone was using and it had been tapped , but it wasnt a homemade thing it was actually bought somewhere , i know what you mean about the small filters on your valve covers because this is what i did w,,ith my magnuson set up on my 4.8 pickup because i did not want to vent it back into the intake and gum up my supercharger , they look pretty old school on each valve cover but they work , i am pretty sure your idea will work afterall you are just venting pressure , if it is not thick enuf to tap you can use a bulk head an fitting with a seal washer, when i get around to it this is what i am going to do , Eric
Old 08-17-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

you could use a normal slip fitting on your braided lined. Otherwise you could tap it for a fitting if you find one that has the flow you need and fill fit in that spot (under the tb?)

As far as just running a dirty line to a can with a breather, thats not how the pcv system works so it wouldnt do you any good. if you skim through this it has the diagram you need.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you install an LS6 Valley Cover you can pretty much remove your entire LS1 PCV System. That's what I did when I installed my LS6 Intake and I also added a RevXtreme Catchcan.

I used the writeup on ls1howto.com. Here's a link...

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

Its not too difficult a swap. Cutting the piece out of the block that needs to be removed can be cause a little anxiety. I guess I'm not sure if the 6.0L Block would need this modification or not. Either way, its not as bad as it sounds.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with Mumbles just buy the ls6 cover I paid like 90 and it came with new gasket and bolts
Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't want that **** running up to the throttle body, is there any way to just get rid of that?

The PCV valve is essentially a check valve, correct? It allows dirty air to leave without allowing any air to enter back into the system.

Couldn't I run an in-line PCV valve to a vented catch can, and not have to run anything back to the intake?
Old 08-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4Birdman
I don't want that **** running up to the throttle body, is there any way to just get rid of that?

The PCV valve is essentially a check valve, correct? It allows dirty air to leave without allowing any air to enter back into the system.

Couldn't I run an in-line PCV valve to a vented catch can, and not have to run anything back to the intake?

There would be no way to draw or evac the harmfull combustion byproducts out of the crankcase. You must have a filtered fresh air source preferably on the oppiste valve cover as the crankcase evacs from. The intake manifold provides the vacuum to acomplish this. A good oil seperating can will not allow oil vapor to get through.

Do a search for: "is my catchcan routing correct?"

Quick Reply: Can you tap the LS1 valley pan for a PCV system?