Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert Static Compression Psi to...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Convert Static Compression Psi to...

Does anyone know a way to figure out your compression ratio using the static compression psi number? I am ranging from 240 - 249 psi which seems very high. I have searched Google and can't find a way to do it. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LIZ28SS
Does anyone know a way to figure out your compression ratio using the static compression psi number? I am ranging from 240 - 249 psi which seems very high. I have searched Google and can't find a way to do it. Thanks.
thast extrememly high
Old 01-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Unhappy

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
thast extrememly high
I know... it suprised me becuase all along I thought my compression ratio was 10.6:1 which is what Lunati says it will be with their 382 stroker kit. No wonder I have been haivng pinging issues. Pump gas may not cut it
Old 01-25-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have a pretty small cam, and were they flat top pistons?

You could also try a larger cam if its not already on the edge of your taste for driveability, although if it pings all the time its not very driveable. Can bleed off a bit of that cylinder pressure. Any possible valvetrain issue that might cause the valves not to fully open
Old 01-25-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think thats ever going to work on pump gas, when my 14 to 1 SBC was pressure tested i only had 225psi! Granted my cam timing and gear reduction starter influenced my readings, but i ran that setup on C14(VP gas). It sounds like you need to play with cam timing and or Intake centerline placement, plus maybe a intake charge intercooler?
Old 01-25-2004, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Something doesn't sound right. I guess I will have to pull a head to verify the pistons becuase Lunati spec says -1cc flat tops NOT dome style which I would imagine would need to be in place to make compression numbers like that. How does intake centerline placement effect compression? Wouldn't the compression be unequal then from one side to the other? Probably a stupid question but a question non the less. Please advise. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something doesn't sound right. I guess I will have to pull a head to verify the pistons becuase Lunati spec says -1cc flat tops NOT dome style which I would imagine would need to be in place to make compression numbers like that. How does intake centerline placement effect compression? Wouldn't the compression be unequal then from one side to the other? Probably a stupid question but a question non the less. Please advise. Thanks!
Compression would be the same side to side,no i dont believe you are any where near as high as 14 to 1 but you are at a pinging pressure. You could retard cam 4* and see 10 to 15 psi drop in cranking pressure, but remember you havent really lost that pressure just moved it upward in rpm range.
I would consider fatter mixtures, maybe water or alcohol injection? I think 12 to 1 comp. is highest ive seen any one claim with good tuning to run on pump gas, anyone here have more info?
Old 01-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Launching!

The only way to determine your compression ratio is to measure all the volumes and calculate it.

Quick Reply: Convert Static Compression Psi to...