Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure really low at idle oring, cam retainer,etc symptoms..

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Low oil pressure really low at idle oring, cam retainer,etc symptoms..

I may have alway had a bit lower oil pressure after doing my 408 but figured it was do to maybe the oil was running or having an slp pump and bigger clearances in motor.
I never had a check engine light for it and oil pressure did go up with rpm but maybe not as high as should have been. I put in higher pressure slp spring this spring.

Other day warning light came on and oil pressure was at the red mark.
Shut it down. No audible noises ,changed out oil to 15/50 mobile one was running 10/40 non syth.
No visible metal in oil or on drain plug, didn't cut filter open but hoping bearings are fine.

So few things .Today likely swap oil pressure sender out. Don't have mechanical so by time buy that and get fittings might as well just switch out stock one.
Next if that dont' work and oil pressure is really doing this, and it starts off like 40psi when you first start it in say 70 degree temps and then drops off lower and lower after driving the car for awhile. I have not let it get to warning point again and not hearing any noises in valvetrain,knocking.
If still doing this will go into front and check oring and check cam retainer plate and make sure plug is still there in front of engine. Possibly replace oil pump
If none of that helps well may have to yank out engine over winter and put in a new LSX ,if have to rip out 408 then might as well put in 427 this time around.

But seriously does this sound like oring symptoms. And if oring why would I have no real problem for say 4000 miles and then all of sudden this?
Old 08-27-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think is one of the 3 oil pump, o-ring or cam retainer so check them out or replace all 3
Old 08-27-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to really bust your *****... but you kind of have the "dia-ag" process down pat.. wtf you need us for lol?

Could be oring.. could be sender, could be clogged pump pickup, leaking cam retainer plate, bad pump, loose clearances or all combined

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure really low at idle oring, cam retainer,etc symptoms..