Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block Work

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Work

What are most of you guy's paying to have your blocks machined? Also list what you are getting with your cost. You know are you getting it just honed, or honed and decked, or honed, decked, align honed.

For you guy's that are putting your own engines together, would there be any interest in being able to buy blocks that were already machined ready to go? You would be able to send in your core. I was thinking that a lot of you are putting together your own engines and this might be a good idea. You would be able to buy blocks from us already machined and ready to go. They would included ARP head & main studs.
Let me know if you think this would be a good idea.

Thanks,
Old 01-31-2004, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a machined block with a matching rotating assembly?

Just an idea from a DIYer. Saves a lot of hassel and you save money on the assembly.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by AP-Engineering
What are most of you guy's paying to have your blocks machined? Also list what you are getting with your cost. You know are you getting it just honed, or honed and decked, or honed, decked, align honed.

For you guy's that are putting your own engines together, would there be any interest in being able to buy blocks that were already machined ready to go? You would be able to send in your core. I was thinking that a lot of you are putting together your own engines and this might be a good idea. You would be able to buy blocks from us already machined and ready to go. They would included ARP head & main studs.

Thanks,

Damn Chris... you are on to something!!!! I would buy a already machined block in a heartbeat! It would have save me ~$1000 when I bought my "never run, ready to assemble" block since the line bore was waaaaaay out costing me a motor and then have to line bore/ hone the mains.

I have prices from my machine shop I could PM you or post here if you want.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great idea to me...there arent any good machine shop's here in the local area...I mean there are a few..but none that i know of have the ls1 torque plate and I am really picky when it comes to quality machine work and clearances/tolerances.It would be nice to just send out a core block and receive a pre machined peice much sooner!...speaking of wich..I need a 3.905",align honed for ARP main studs,decked,cam bearings, and pluged block...wanna hook me up shoot me an e-mail and I wanna see about some pricing and other thing's i need for the block...Thank's man...Carter z28vf@aol.com
Old 01-31-2004, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AP-Engineering

Thanks,
sounds like a great idea , by the way how is my 408 going.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't because I would rather stay local and have input on the block. Shipping would be a pain, and the block could get damaged in shipping. Better idea for people from small towns that don't have access to a good machine shop.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the board ITSovr4U, I'm not sure APE knows who is asking so I'll chime in. ITSovr4U is "John" so there is no confusion. My guess is they need to receive the initial order of Eagle cranks??

BTW APE, I think its a great idea to offer the service.

Last edited by Jammer; 02-01-2004 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I convinced my machine shop to buy a torque plate finally. I think you have a great idea though
Old 02-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Launching!

John, welcome to the board. I am just waiting on your Eagle crank like the rest of the world. Hopefully they ship this coming week and we can get your block on the way to you.

Jammer, Thanks, I had a pretty good idea that it was John since his location was Albany, NY. Your crank will be here on tuesday and your block should be here on that same day. It won't be to long before yours is done either.

Country Boy, PM me or post your block machining cost's. I would be very interested to see what some of you are paying for this service. Thanks for the input!

10secondZ, check your emails, I have sent you one.

SScam68, I can do that too! If you look over in the sponsor/gp section I have rotating assembly's listed at a very good price. I could easily get you a block machined up to go with it and all you would have to do is put it together. Let me know if you need anything.

StrokedLS1, Thanks for your input. You do have the chance of damage occurring when shipping anything but, we insure every shortblock, engine and part that leaves our shop. If it is damaged in transit, it would be replaced. Plus we package them up pretty good to help keep damage from happening. Plus a lot of guy's want there block honed using a deck plate and not to many people have them as of yet. We are located outside of Detroit and it is hard to find a machine shop around here that has a deck plate for a LS1.

Reckless, That's great that they bought one. I am sure they will have plenty of use for it in the future. You use a pretty good machine shop.

Thanks guy's for all of the info on what you are looking for and keep it coming. On Monday I will list what we can do these blocks for and what they will include.

Thanks,
Old 02-01-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is really a great idea having pre-machined blocks ready to go. I would snapped one up quick when doing my new set up. I had to settle for a local guy who had never done and LS1/6 before and was a little clueless. I paid 960.00 for a bore,balance and assembly of rods,crank,pistons and bearings.
Us small city guys need some options.
J
Old 02-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Here is the link to our stroker kits. Just thought I'd link it for you guy's.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/134439-who-wants-stroker-kits.html
Old 02-01-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think that this would be a great idea. I really want to do my own assembly work and if I could buy a complete short block kit that would be perfect.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:10 PM

cgworht, the website has been taken down. I bought this company in January and have been making changes to make the company better. The old owners had there website through a buddy of theres and did not own there own site or web address. The website designer wanted to charge me a very large sum of money to buy the name from him and did not want to make any changes for me. I declined to buy it from him so he shut it down and put up the message. Since then we have got a new web address, www.automotiveperformance.net , and will have a new and improved site up shortly. Thanks for your questions.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a VERY good idea. Hopefully the prices will be right
Old 02-01-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BTW, on my now somewhat parted out 370 ci, I paid about 1k for a complete machine shop workover. Bore, hone, hot tank, deck, balance to 2000 gram bob (lotsa mallory)...the list goes on with what they did, but at least in albany it will range from $650-$1000 to get all the machine shop work done in good and proper fashion. Of course thats retail.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

my MID machining with Bore and line honing 2900
Old 02-01-2004, 09:33 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

I would be interested in doing as much as I can on my own. No one in my area does this kind of LS1 work - at least that I am aware of. I would need a block with all the machining leaving me just the assembly.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:06 AM

OK guy's here it is, ready to go blocks will cost you $1200.00 out the door. These will come with the following parts & machining;
ARP main studs
cam bearings
Honed w/deck plates to 3.905 bore
aligne honed
deck will be standard deck height unless it needs to be cleaned up. (no more than .005 off the deck)
Cleaned & bagged for shipping
Options:
ARP head studs.

All blocks will be honed w/deck plates and using ARP head studs.
The $1200 has a $550.00 core charge built into it. So if you supply a block all of this will only run you $650.00

Let me know if you have any questions. I should have these ready to ship by next mid next week.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2004, 11:09 AM

WOW! Now thats a deal!!! I spent more than that and had to wait 3 months for the deck plate to be made.

Sorry I didnt get the prices for ya, I havent found my reciepts yet
Old 02-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Launching!

No problem!