Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ms4 cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ms4 cam

I got a 2000 z28 a4 i have already done ls6 intake, lts, ory, magnaflow cat back. Im looking to do a ms4 or ms3.. Now i know both these are pretty big cams.. I also only have stock 241heads.. My question is can i run the ms4 without fly cutting my pistions? or any other supporting mods.. Now ill know ill have to get a tune.. Any info would help..

Also does these cames require a stall?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chaospartners
I got a 2000 z28 a4 i have already done ls6 intake, lts, ory, magnaflow cat back. Im looking to do a ms4 or ms3.. Now i know both these are pretty big cams.. I also only have stock 241heads.. My question is can i run the ms4 without fly cutting my pistions? or any other supporting mods.. Now ill know ill have to get a tune.. Any info would help..

Also does these cames require a stall?
Stall, gears, and a good tuner.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

I might be able to do the stall now, but im planning on waiting on the gears....
Old 10-26-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chaospartners
I might be able to do the stall now, but im planning on waiting on the gears....
Ms4 with stock gears is going to be a dog.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to fly cut with stock heads, also the ms cams are higher rpm cams, what are your future plans with the car? Is this a dd,weekend car,race car? Tsp has a lot of really good cams I suggest you call them and talk with them and kinda explain what you want out of the car,yes the ms3 and 4 make really good numbers but there are a lot of really nice cams that will get you decent numbers,I like the new torquer has a good power band,has a nice rough sound . You also will need to go with a higher gear 4.10s or higher,and a big stall I have a m6 so I couldn't tell you what to go with in that area, also a really good tune for the ms cams,people say they run them on a mail order and say they run perfect is a bunch of bs,mine spent at least 3 hours on the dyno and another 2 in my buddys driveway, the ms4 has a lot of topend,which I love,but if you want a good power band all across the board you should look into something else, also ls7 lifters would be a good move to get,I waited on those just because I'm getting heads soon.hope some of this info helps,I spent hours reading about cams before I made my choice heard the good and the bad I suggest you do the same.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Captain Double Post

I have the ms4, just don't make a mistake and getting one just because it sounds bad *** on a youtube vid,lol any cam profile can sound really good,there are a lot of threads on these cams, just do some homework, what ever you go with man I wish you the best of luck on your cam choice,and if ya live in ohio somewhere and wanna go for a ride to check it out hit me back, God bless
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Its kinda like a weekend car. im looking for a cam with good mid rang to top end torque..
Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

my car has 3:23 gears now. i dont think i wana go anymore than 3:73..
Old 10-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Captain Double Post

Yeah ms4 in a auto with stock gears would be a dog, but a torquer v2 or v3 wouldn't be to bad, I have seen autos fly with a 125 shot and the ms4,but the other mods gotta be there, also if your not buying the kit you need pushrods,springs,ported oil pump,a few gaskets and bolts,and at least a ls2 chain
Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

You'll really want a stall, at least 3600 or bigger, IMHO gears aren't neccesary but nice to have. I have 3.75s (9inch but I had 3.73s in my 10 bolt) and wouldn't want bigger in an auto.

The MS cams will go in without flycutting, but you may want to look into other cams depending on your goals. Just don't by an MS4 because its all hyped up.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Captain Double Post

To get every bit outta that cam you need to get the rpms up faster,3.73s you could maybe roll with it but I wouldn't,now 3.73 with a lil smaller cam would work a lot better than a ms4 with 3.73s
Old 10-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Yeah ms4 in a auto with stock gears would be a dog, but a torquer v2 or v3 wouldn't be to bad, I have seen autos fly with a 125 shot and the ms4,but the other mods gotta be there, also if your not buying the kit you need pushrods,springs,ported oil pump,a few gaskets and bolts,and at least a ls2 chain
Damn im kinda a newbi to the f-body seen.. I guess its not as easy as just throwing a camn in there and getting it tuned.. lol
Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Captain Double Post

Just do a lot of reading and ask a lot of questions,I love that cam,and I wouldn't trade it for anything,but I drive my car once a week if that,I would hate it if it was my dd,yeah don't buy into the hype, , you should list your goals for the car ,that way we could give you some cam options or point you in the right way,I'm sure you could do a ms3 and 3.73s and love it, the tune is what will make that work for you,
Old 10-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Captain Double Post

Old 10-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Captain Double Post

If your set on the ms cams go with the ms3,your gonna want to get a stall no matter what cam you chose to go with,just helps autos so much,call texas speed they will set you up with everything and go into more detail about cams and performance,also do u plan on doing heads at some point,these are all things to think about before making a cam choice,trust me I think you would be really happy with a ms3,and I don't wanna talk you out of anything you just need to read the good and the bad ,I can tell you up top the 3 and 4 make sweet power and will pull and pull,but you need to get it to where it starts pulling,call tsp they will give you the best info,just remember that you will read some crap of people bashing those cams and never ran one or been in one,and there are tons of people like that,i if I saw someone was running that cam in there sig I would pm them to pick there minds
Old 10-26-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

I have the ms4 with stock 3:23's and my car is not a dog outta the hole. Yes it is a beast on the top end, but even with the stock gears, my short time is 1.64, and that was only 2nd pass ever on the track. Im sure with a lil more work I can get it a lil better. I do have a th350 with a 4100 stall. Stall is must with cam and auto, and imo the bigger the better. No fly cutting is needed,but do the other stuff for sure, push rods, springs, op,ls2 timing chain. MS are great cams, gotta be tuned, and even with a good one, you will get some surging and little hiccups every now and then.

Quick Reply: Ms4 cam