Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blew out my knock sensor gaskets!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default blew out my knock sensor gaskets!!!

i changed the hose on the back of the carburetor from the valve cover to the valley cover and i revved the car up and all of a sudden i heard a burst of air and the car started idleing @ 1500rpms... i took the hose off of the back of the carburetor and smoke started coming out of the knock sensor from the pressure. how strong r those seals? do u think i should replace them and give it another try? or should i use some silicone and seal it up?

Thanks
Anthony
Old 10-31-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastdriver1992
i changed the hose on the back of the carburetor from the valve cover to the valley cover...
If you have the valve cover vent plumbed to the valley cover, how does crankcase pressure escape and how does filtered air get routed into the crankcase on your setup?
Old 10-31-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a breather in between, as u can see here. i had it set up like this but the breather was giving off too much smoke so i wanted to hook up the carburator to suck out the oil smoke from the valley cover and block everything else off, but the gaskets blew

Old 10-31-2010, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fastdriver1992
i changed the hose on the back of the carburetor from the valve cover to the valley cover and i revved the car up and all of a sudden i heard a burst of air and the car started idleing @ 1500rpms... i took the hose off of the back of the carburetor and smoke started coming out of the knock sensor from the pressure. how strong r those seals? do u think i should replace them and give it another try? or should i use some silicone and seal it up?

Thanks
Anthony
I think you should take a good look at your plumbing as was just said. I'm guessing you have an LS6 knock sensor cover?
EDIT: I see that you do.

If so, the pass side hose should have filtered air going IN the engine, either by plumbing it to the filtered engine air (before the carb) or running its own seperate breather. Same can be done for the old pcv location, although not necessary.

The line from the valley cover should go to a vacuum source on the carb, and depending on which ls6 VC you have, an inline pcv should be added. A catch can would be installed on this loop if you're running one.