Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pump install question

Im doing a cam/spring/timing chain/oi pump install this weekend on my motor. After reading the write up on ls1howto I had a question. Since the motor is sitting on a stand Im assuming its much easier to just remove the entire oil pan and swap the pump out that way, instead of just lossening it? Also I didnt see it mentioned in the write up but it the oil pan gasket reusable or will I need a new one? Sorry for the newbie question but im completely inexperienced at this and this is my first swap.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes removing the pan would make the job easier and I would replace the gasket while I had the pan off. There will be 2 small rivets you will have to drill out.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

since the engine is on a stand, yes, just remove the pan. Yes the gasket is reusable. If you have some miles on it, i would just replace it while you can.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Change the gasket. I did an install in the car at at the oil filter boss the gasket didnt reseal. 600$ later the dealership had it fixed(didnt feel like dropping the k member)
Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Sweet thanks guys. The engine only has 12k on it but Ill change gaskets anyhow. Any suggestions on gaskets?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

What chain? Single or double roller?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Its a double roller.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:03 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by ebk06
Its a double roller.
It would probably be in your best interest to loosen the nut on the windage tray for the oil pick up tube while you do this then. That double roller should have come with spacers which will move that pump forward and may cause issues with the o-ring seating in the oil pump properly.

I haven't read the how-to that you mentioned. Does it tell you about using feeler gauges or clearancing the timing cover?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

definately change the gasket. did mine in the car week before last and when i put it back up and cranked it it was leaking by the oil filter. since youre there, its too easy to replace it. also, be careful not to crack your oil pan when you pull it off. sounds crazy but it happens.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've swapped cams twice in my car on the original 90k oil pan gasket. Never leaked a drop yet. Lowered the pan both times also
Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
I've swapped cams twice in my car on the original 90k oil pan gasket. Never leaked a drop yet. Lowered the pan both times also
I would say you are in the minority. Most high mileage cam swaps end up with leaky oil pans....if not at first then eventually.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

the pan I did was a nightmare it sprayed right over the filter where the oil actually flows through the pan. Probably one of the few things that I dislike about the LS motors and favor the old small blocks. 12k might be ok but I have a feeling 50 bucks from oreillys is worth the piece of mind after youre putting probably over a grand in the thing. Im not sure if ours didnt reseal initially or just when I had to redrop it not due to a pinched oring but a straight up worn out one(lost its squishy). At this point its water under the bridge, money down the toilet, and a lesson learned. Good luck with the build
Old 11-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Thanks for allthe input guys. Unfortuntaly I didntget a chance to start the swap this weekend. I didnt realize a double roller chain requires the can to be degreed so Im waiting on a degree kit. At this point i think im just going to wait until thanksgiving weekend so I have 3 days in a row to work on it.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

not a bad idea. nothings worse than trying to figure out where you left off
Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
not a bad idea. nothings worse than trying to figure out where you left off
Exactly what I was thinking lol
Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the pan I did was a nightmare it sprayed right over the filter where the oil actually flows through the pan. Probably one of the few things that I dislike about the LS motors and favor the old small blocks. 12k might be ok but I have a feeling 50 bucks from oreillys is worth the piece of mind after youre putting probably over a grand in the thing. Im not sure if ours didnt reseal initially or just when I had to redrop it not due to a pinched oring but a straight up worn out one(lost its squishy). At this point its water under the bridge, money down the toilet, and a lesson learned. Good luck with the build
Old small block chevys leaked like a screen door compared to a LS series engine...my DD LS1 with 223,000+ miles does not leak a drop and never has...3 heads and cam swaps and oil pump swaps...numerous valve spring swaps too ..still using the original valve cover gaskets and pan gaskets .... I wish I had a dollar for every oil leak I have fixed on a gen 1 sbc..I could have retired years ago.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Old small block chevys leaked like a screen door compared to a LS series engine...my DD LS1 with 223,000+ miles does not leak a drop and never has...3 heads and cam swaps and oil pump swaps...numerous valve spring swaps too ..still using the original valve cover gaskets and pan gaskets .... I wish I had a dollar for every oil leak I have fixed on a gen 1 sbc..I could have retired years ago.
haha to each their own. I think theres good and bad to both. more good to the ls series of course, but I like my old small blocks too.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

haha to each their own. I think theres good and bad to both. more good to the ls series of course, but I like my old small blocks too.
I ran injected and supercharged gassers back in the 60's beleive me I know a little about sbc engines....the LS series kicks its azz in every department....I like the way the old ones look but I sure wish I had LS engines back in the day....

PS Think back and remember how many sbc valve cover gaskets leaked like a screen door... you may not be old enough to remember this ... everybody tightened them too much which made them leak for sure...I made a bunch of $$ fixing that problem..
Old 11-15-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I ran injected and supercharged gassers back in the 60's beleive me I know a little about sbc engines....the LS series kicks its azz in every department....I like the way the old ones look but I sure wish I had LS engines back in the day....

PS Think back and remember how many sbc valve cover gaskets leaked like a screen door... you may not be old enough to remember this ... everybody tightened them too much which made them leak for sure...I made a bunch of $$ fixing that problem..
Haha honestly no, I'm 19 in college. I guess I just like that old school sound and I find them fun to work on. My theory is those who forget history are doomed to repeat it, so I just enjoy both. I have one of each and I don't think they have one thing in common past 8 cylinders, but i guess thats what makes it fun. It's a constant battle to see which one i can get faster

Quick Reply: Oil pump install question