Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cam with stock 317 valvesprings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which cam with stock 317 valvesprings?

Which would be safer to use with stock 371 head valvesprings an ms3 cam or a comp cam with the following specs .242/.248 .612/.615 115 lsa.
I'm trying not to buy new valvesprings if I can for at least until after new years.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will safely kill your motor with both those cams. Stock valve springs are good for your stock cam and thats about it.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 180ls1
you will safely kill your motor with both those cams. Stock valve springs are good for your stock cam and thats about it.
Damn, I was hoping they could at least last me a month. Oh well better safe than sorry.
Thanks, for the help.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Launching!

A? I dnt mean to change the subject, can I use 1.8rocker on my 317 heads ? I'm looking into a set that my friend has for sale. Would they work good on booost force induction?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You cannot safely run anything but stock cam/rockers on stock valve springs. They are crap for performance and barely hold a stock cam at stock RPMs
Old 11-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You cannot safely run anything but stock cam/rockers on stock valve springs. They are crap for performance and barely hold a stock cam at stock RPMs
thanks, yeah 180ls1 made it perfectly clear. I was hoping they could at least last from late December until the week after new years but if they can't well I guess I'll chuck up the $200 for the Patriots.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

You can get Patriot duals for around $260 I believe, PRC for closer to $300 and Lunatis for around $220 shipped. I chose the Lunati bc I like to be the Guinea pig
Old 11-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Launching!

You can get Patriot duals for around $260 I believe, PRC for closer to $300 and Lunatis for around $220 shipped. I chose the Lunati bc I like to be the Guinea pig
Lunati makes valvesprings? Honestly, first time I hear that. I know they make cranks, pistons, cam, and rods but not valves.
So how do you like them so far?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, Lunati hasn't had these LS dual springs out long I don't believe. It seems like a nice well thought out kit and the reason for the cheaper price is the fact that you do not get titanium retainers. They chose a tool steel type retainer which is supposed to yield similar weights to titanium, yet be stronger and cheaper to make. On a street car I see this as a well thought out decision/trade-off for valve-train weight vs. production cost. When I was looking to buy springs, I knew I wanted duals and was going to go with the tried and true Patriots or PRCs. However, the Lunatis gained my interest. After closer inspection, they seemed to be a high quality kit made by a reputable company for a great price. As an FYI, Lunati does not MAKE these. They are subbed out by a big spring manufacturer in MI I believe. Since there was little info out there I figured what the hell. I bought them through a site sponsor through their ebay ad and got them for $220 shipped. During installation, they installed at the advertised height with no issues. I have only run this set-up for a short period on some very aggressive Cam Motion lobes and so far so good.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Launching!

Well, Lunati hasn't had these LS dual springs out long I don't believe. It seems like a nice well thought out kit and the reason for the cheaper price is the fact that you do not get titanium retainers. They chose a tool steel type retainer which is supposed to yield similar weights to titanium, yet be stronger and cheaper to make. On a street car I see this as a well thought out decision/trade-off for valve-train weight vs. production cost. When I was looking to buy springs, I knew I wanted duals and was going to go with the tried and true Patriots or PRCs. However, the Lunatis gained my interest. After closer inspection, they seemed to be a high quality kit made by a reputable company for a great price. As an FYI, Lunati does not MAKE these. They are subbed out by a big spring manufacturer in MI I believe. Since there was little info out there I figured what the hell. I bought them through a site sponsor through their ebay ad and got them for $220 shipped. During installation, they installed at the advertised height with no issues. I have only run this set-up for a short period on some very aggressive Cam Motion lobes and so far so good.
I just looked them up and they seem good but I got an offer for a pair of Patriot Gold (http://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot%20Perf...0002/-1?CT=999) for $200 complete with locks and retainers so I think I'll go with what I know has been a proven combo by many. I'm already starting to run low on cash for this swap so I don't want to risk it.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

You will find that Patriot does not have a perfect track record. I believe there were issues with them installing at the wrong installed height, and if I bought them I would invest in a spring height checker to confirm this measurement. I would trust their spring but I would measure as a safety net and my own piece of mind. But, for $200 are they brand new? Bc if they weren't.......I'd spring the extra 20 for the Lunatis or 60 for NEW Patriots.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Launching!

You will find that Patriot does not have a perfect track record. I believe there were issues with them installing at the wrong installed height, and if I bought them I would invest in a spring height checker to confirm this measurement. I would trust their spring but I would measure as a safety net and my own piece of mind. But, for $200 are they brand new? Bc if they weren't.......I'd spring the extra 20 for the Lunatis or 60 for NEW Patriots.
Yeah , you know what I'm gonna try to get into contact with Lunati to see which one of their valvesprings they recommend for the cam I'm running and if the price seems reasonable I'll take it.
Thanks for telling me about the Lunati Valvesprings.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lunati is pretty picky about what their name goes on.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkman
Lunati is pretty picky about what their name goes on.
Lunati has had a solid reputation in the racing community since the 70s.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Launching!

welloffcourse i wouldnt be using stock springs either i should mention also that is the complete valvetrain, 1.8rr,cam,springs and push rods.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will also need a tune if you plan to drive the car with either of those cams installed.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DaveX
You will also need a tune if you plan to drive the car with either of those cams installed.
deffint,its a winter 5.3 forceinduction project for my sc400 ,what im trying to get at will i get a +benefit out of the 1.8 rockers? for my bottomstock 5.3 with 317heads +75mm turbo.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gallo-lo
deffint,its a winter 5.3 forceinduction project for my sc400 ,what im trying to get at will i get a +benefit out of the 1.8 rockers? for my bottomstock 5.3 with 317heads +75mm turbo.
My comment was meant for the OP. He seems to be trying to get by on the cheap. Nothing wrong with that but there are limitations.

I don't see what cam you are planning to run. From what I have read, 1.8 rockers are not recommended for medium size and larger LS cams due to the fast ramp rate of the lobes.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard that they are made in china also.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Teching In

LMAO, You are trying to use a cam in the 24X duration and over .600 lift on stock valve springs.

Your stock cam. /Thread.

Quick Reply: Which cam with stock 317 valvesprings?