Test you troubleshooting skills

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check Out This Smoke

http://www.villier.net/kyfbody/videos/chrismdyno.wmv

TEST YOUR TROUBLE SHOOTING SKILLS
car was rich in the video, but even after the tune it still smokes at WOT and on deceleration from WOT. after leakdown test and compression check came out good. I was left out in the wind. The guys at TEA say some lS1's just do this. Its a 2000 A4 with only mods being free mods and dual exhaust with Mac heaqders. I put down 315 hp ant 326 tq. corrected. on that run. tell me what you guys think. The car is strong as hell and has done this for ever. I have posted on here about it before, but Nobody realy had any clue withput seeing it ,, so here it s. Also, the car has always been kinga freaky fast in comparison to my friends A4 cars. It did 8.60's bone *** stock and with headers and free mods, it did 8.42 (1/8th mile) SMoking all the way down the track. My wife videoed one of my runs one day and thats thge only reason i noticed the smoke. That was in 2001. the car is still just as strong as ever. and just as smokey

WHATS THE VERDIC DOC???

Last edited by chrismcdaniel; 02-03-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

ttt
someone has to have a idea what this is
Old 02-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No clue buddy. All I can say is who cars as long as its running good. If its not broke dont fix it.
I had a buddy that went 8.75 in his A4 stock with 50000 miles. Also had a friend who went 8.59 in a M6 stock.
Your results are great but not freaky
Old 02-03-2004, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

your probably right, Dont fix it if i anit broke is kinda how Iv felt about it for the past 3 years, but my curiosity is just killing me.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macs burn oil... burnt oil=smoke

Change headers or enjoy the power...

What do I win??
Old 02-03-2004, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cammin BeaSSt
Macs burn oil... burnt oil=smoke

Change headers or enjoy the power...

What do I win??

You mean that Mac headers cause my car to burn oil? that doesnt sence to me. Why does macs do it, and Others dont? because they are midleanght? if so, does BBK headers force engines to smoke? Thats weird, you are the first person in three years to give me that explination.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen lots of headers/no cat cars smoke some at wot. I don't think the Macs have anything to do with it.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:23 PM
FormerVendor

Do a search on MACS, lotsa people have had complaints of oil consumption/ burning with these. I do agree all headers/ORYs will smoke a lil, but Macs tend to lead the group...
Old 02-03-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cammin BeaSSt
Do a search on MACS, lotsa people have had complaints of oil consumption/ burning with these. I do agree all headers/ORYs will smoke a lil, but Macs tend to lead the group...
Rons right well discussed phenomenom with macs, do I get a share? LOL
Old 02-03-2004, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

When I ran MAC's, I had the same issue, but after installing a catch can the blowby stopped. $20.00 particle filter from PepBoys. Run it off of the existing PCV to the intake. Seems to do the trick, and alot cheaper than new headers.

Can't answer your question about "why" folks get this condition after installing MAC's, but it does seem to be widespread. Possibly the scavenging effect of the midlength's? Dunno.....not sure anyone does.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

well I appreciate all you guy's opinions, This realy the first I have heard of this In 3 years of asking Folks. I definately am going to get a greddy catch can. thanks alot guys.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

bad valve seal maybe?
Old 02-03-2004, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

bad valve seals would cause smoke on start up and idle as well. mine doesnt.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

I have seen alot of threads in the past about people who install Macs have smoke afterwards. But if the leakdown and compression came out good then screw it haha!! You can now literally fart on ricers with your fbod hehe.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't looked at the video yet, but based on your symptoms and when they occur, it's because you're pulling oil through the PCV system when you have alot of vacuum in the intake (i.e. deceleration, and WOT) Either a simple catch can or a switch to the LS6 style PCV system should help alleviate the problem.

It's caused by two things happening. 1. at WOT and decel after WOT, you aggitate (for a better lack of words) the oil in the top of the motor, around the rockers, causing alot of it to become airborn and some atomize. 2. At those same conditions, you're pulling alot of vacuum, and are then pulling all that aggitated oil through the PCV system, since it draws from the valve covers and the PCV valve (actually the whole system) sits sideways, it's not helping to stop the oil from making it's way into the intake.

Hope this helps!

Matt
Old 02-04-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Mine did the same thing after I installed my Macs w/ORP, and even worse after Hotcam. I figured it was blow-by (low tension oil rings). At WOT your PCV system is useless, that why many people run vacuum pumps when using low-tension oil rings. These stock low-tension rings seem to be just fine with sotck exhaust, cam, etc... But once you start changing stuff, some people run in to trouble. Appearantly Macs are more prone to causing this.

I hooked up my air pump as a kind of supplimental vacuum pump that only activates near WOT. It only pulls about 4 pounds of vacuum, but it has cut the smoke down to almost nothing... I guess the slight amount of evacuation it provides helps a bit.

Tommy
Old 02-04-2004, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TaTommyWS6
Mine did the same thing after I installed my Macs w/ORP, and even worse after Hotcam. I figured it was blow-by (low tension oil rings). At WOT your PCV system is useless, that why many people run vacuum pumps when using low-tension oil rings. These stock low-tension rings seem to be just fine with sotck exhaust, cam, etc... But once you start changing stuff, some people run in to trouble. Appearantly Macs are more prone to causing this.

I hooked up my air pump as a kind of supplimental vacuum pump that only activates near WOT. It only pulls about 4 pounds of vacuum, but it has cut the smoke down to almost nothing... I guess the slight amount of evacuation it provides helps a bit.

Tommy
You should realy do a write up on the air pump idea, I have looked in to a small electric vacume pump for the PCV system to just eliminate the use of the vacume from the intake, but its about $250.00.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
You should realy do a write up on the air pump idea, I have looked in to a small electric vacume pump for the PCV system to just eliminate the use of the vacume from the intake, but its about $250.00.
I probably should. The main reason I never had is when I mentioned it to most people, they all told me it would never work... Well, it does for me.

I'll have to take some pics and I'll do my best to do a write up if people are interested.

Tommy
Old 02-05-2004, 06:33 AM
11 Second Club

well, Im interested. So keep me in mind if you do the write up
Old 02-05-2004, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

keep me in mind too