Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket rods and pistions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aftermarket rods and pistions?

are they worth the extra money i have a knock now so ill already be tearing it down all i plan on useing is a 100 shot heads and ms3 cam and what brands are a fair price and good combo i dont wanna spend over 1000 on rods and pistions
Old 11-16-2010, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

A 6.125 h beam Compstar rod will run you 607.00, depending on the piston, it will be difficult to stay under a grand for both. You can figure at least 600+ on a decent piston.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's hard to get rods AND pistons for under a grand. Remember, you will have to get bearings and the block will need some work as well. We run a lot of Callies and had good results. There are some cheaper if you absolutely need to save money also. We have run a lot of Wiseco pistons without a single issue. They come with a nice stainless/napier ringset standard which is additional from most other piston manufacturers. We can get you setup with everything you need. I believe if you go with the Callies/Wiseco combo, you are around $1450 w/ bearings. Let me know what you think. We might be able to cut some corners if you must.

Jon
Old 11-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
It's hard to get rods AND pistons for under a grand. Remember, you will have to get bearings and the block will need some work as well. We run a lot of Callies and had good results. There are some cheaper if you absolutely need to save money also. We have run a lot of Wiseco pistons without a single issue. They come with a nice stainless/napier ringset standard which is additional from most other piston manufacturers. We can get you setup with everything you need. I believe if you go with the Callies/Wiseco combo, you are around $1450 w/ bearings. Let me know what you think. We might be able to cut some corners if you must.

Jon
sounds good ill have too see what the machine shop says before i make my order what kind of power does that combo support
Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 PM
FormerVendor

You could also look at a Compstar Rod w/ a Mahle Piston option. For a 100 shot, I would have no problem running a Mahle piston. You can get the piston w/ rings much cheaper than a Weisco or Diamond and it would fall much closer to your budget as well.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have some customers making 1000+ with a Callies rod and Wiseco piston combo. As long as the tune up is correct, they will take a good deal of abuse. Like mentioned above, you can go with a Mahle piston if you are looking for more of a stock replacement. But for a little more money I would get the better one. You can save a little on the rod and go with an Eagle or Scat, but if it's me, I'm putting a quality piston in there.

Jon

Originally Posted by ws6wannab
sounds good ill have too see what the machine shop says before i make my order what kind of power does that combo support
Old 11-20-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the compstar rods and wiseco piston set with the nitrous rings from TSP (great guys) ,, cant be done for nowhere near a grand.....And dont buy used, just asking for trouble.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:06 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I've been seeing a lot of Scat rods being used lately. For ~$200, thats a hell of a deal IMO, but I wouldn't put it in a 1000bhp nitrous engine.