Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump failed, i want to rebuild, what am i going to encounter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pump failed, i want to rebuild, what am i going to encounter?

Im going to buy a complete 99 ls1 longblock that the oil pump failed on for cheap to use as a donor for a forged build, or to possibly rebuild as stock for my ranger. Just making sure im not overlooking anything here before i go head first in too deep.

-Crank bearings will be shot
-Crank will need to be turned, hopefully its not too bad.
-Cam bearings probably as well will be shot
-Cam will be replaced with stock or tr224
-Cylinder walls maybe survived with no markings, anyone know from experience?
-Pistons/rings will be in the same catagory as above
-Rods will be fine
-Valve train should be fine in theory
-New oil pump obviously

Did i miss anything? Like i said, might do a budget stock rebuild and use it for my truck or forge it for my turbo setup. Biggest factor is im hoping the cylinder walls arent all scored up beyond any further usage since you really cant bore these engines. thanks to all that help
Old 11-16-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Just got off the phone with the guy. (shop owner) Apparently the owner fired up the car in the morning and about 30-45secs into it idling, it started to make a lot of noise so he shut it off. Upon receiving it at the shop, (trailered in) he cranked it over, heard the noise and saw zero oil pressure and turned it off immediately. Soo i have my fingers crossed, its just rod/crank bearings and everything else is still okay for a simple rebuild.

Getting a complete long block for $400 from a 99 c5. missing oil pan and valve covers, but big deal, guy said it had a baby cam in it too! i think its a great score! So far, haha.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check for discoloration (dark blue or black areas) on the crank and rods particularly. If they were starved of oil while running for any real amount of time, they might have heated up and started to discolor. That often is a sign of warping as well, so you want to ensure everything is straight and journals are sized (or re-sized) accordingly.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-19-2010, 03:26 AM
TECH Regular

well, i bought it for $350! Came with patriot gold duals/Ti retainers too!! I noticed there was valve marks on the pistons, only one set of marks.. Soo what comes to mind? timing chain snapped. Sure enough, every damn rod and crank bearing is in IMMACULATE condition. The crank is perfect as well. Soo basically i got a complete shortblock minus oil pump for $350 plus complete 853 heads, with patriot gold duals, centerbolt covers, crank pulley, valley cover, and a few bolts in a bag. Super stoked!