Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder wall scuffing, how deep is too deep that a 3.905 resize cant cure?

Old 11-21-2010, 02:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cylinder wall scuffing, how deep is too deep that a 3.905 resize cant cure?

I have a Ls1 block i want to get bore/honed for the 3.905 size in hopes to remove some cylinder wall scuffing from the pistons. You can feel them when you run your finger nail across them, but it wont snag your nail. They are fairly light, i can try to get some pics. The cylinder wall area above the rings (combustion side) on all 8 are fine, the cross hatching is still showing. Its when you look at the bottom of the cylinder walls through the bottom of the engine. Its only a few of them too, maybe 3 of 8. As if the piston's skirts were slapping them causing the scuffing. kinda wierd. Just trying to figure out if this block is junk or not basically. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.005" inch piston to wall clearance is the upper limit for most pistons. In fact if you have hypereutectic pistons or higher silicon content pistons the piston wall clearance can be lowered down to .003" or even a bit less. If you get up over .008" piston to cylinder wall clearance, you can substantially rock the pistons in the hole, just hit it with the bottom of your fist on each side and it will rock. This doesn't mean you can't run it, it just won't be quiet.

Also why are the skirts scratching the cylinder walls, I would look into that further.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volume
I have a Ls1 block i want to get bore/honed for the 3.905 size in hopes to remove some cylinder wall scuffing from the pistons. You can feel them when you run your finger nail across them, but it wont snag your nail. They are fairly light, i can try to get some pics. The cylinder wall area above the rings (combustion side) on all 8 are fine, the cross hatching is still showing. Its when you look at the bottom of the cylinder walls through the bottom of the engine. Its only a few of them too, maybe 3 of 8. As if the piston's skirts were slapping them causing the scuffing. kinda wierd. Just trying to figure out if this block is junk or not basically. Thanks!

To answer the 3.905" question; yes, it can be honed & then the pistons replaced w/ 3.905" pistons.

Now, if it were mine, I'd take some 1200-1500 grit paper & lightly rub the scratches just to smooth the edges (lube the paper w/WD-40). Next, I'd gently clean up the skirts on the pistons w/ some 800 grit paper; again, basically to knock down the edges of the scratches. Add some new rings & bearings & then run it for another 200K miles.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by noice
.005" inch piston to wall clearance is the upper limit for most pistons. In fact if you have hypereutectic pistons or higher silicon content pistons the piston wall clearance can be lowered down to .003" or even a bit less. If you get up over .008" piston to cylinder wall clearance, you can substantially rock the pistons in the hole, just hit it with the bottom of your fist on each side and it will rock. This doesn't mean you can't run it, it just won't be quiet.

Also why are the skirts scratching the cylinder walls, I would look into that further.
thanks, yeah could it be dirt in the oil or something getting in between the pistons and cylinders? Doesnt quite make sense.

Originally Posted by LS1-450
To answer the 3.905" question; yes, it can be honed & then the pistons replaced w/ 3.905" pistons.

Now, if it were mine, I'd take some 1200-1500 grit paper & lightly rub the scratches just to smooth the edges (lube the paper w/WD-40). Next, I'd gently clean up the skirts on the pistons w/ some 800 grit paper; again, basically to knock down the edges of the scratches. Add some new rings & bearings & then run it for another 200K miles.
heh this has crossed my mind as well. Maybe il do that today.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hi Volume
;heh this has crossed my mind as well. Maybe il do that today.
Yah, I don't know why guys get all worked up about cylinder wall scratches unless the scratches are really deep, are above the piston rings in the chamber, or it's a racing engine. They cause very little leakage, as far as moving air into the chamber. I'd bet that the ring gaps lose more air than the scratches do.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1-450

Yer a fart smeller! Excellent advice but don't forget to tell um to reuse the factory head bolts too!

BEE sure to check ALL the piston sizes against the bore sizes to see where you are, especially the scuffed ones. You maybe able to move some around to get a better fit overall.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by O2Form
Yer a fart smeller! Excellent advice but don't forget to tell um to reuse the factory head bolts too!

BEE sure to check ALL the piston sizes against the bore sizes to see where you are, especially the scuffed ones. You maybe able to move some around to get a better fit overall.

How 'bout posting what you have to offer in the thread without the mouth... Now, where did I put the lighter used to light those farts. I do hate to waste the good ones.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

Without the mouth? wtf are you talking about?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Without the mouth? wtf are you talking about?

How did I know that it would have to be explained to you. Here, I will speak S-L-O-W-L-Y so that you can understand. No...need...for...the...rude...comments,...is...wh at... "without...the...mouth,"...means.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:48 AM
Banned

I'm so sorry I complimented you, rest assured it will NEVER happen again!

Last edited by O2Form; 11-22-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm so sorry I complimented you, rest assured it will NEVER happen again!

That was a compliment? Wow, my bad. I completely miss-interpreted it because of the "re-use factory bolt" comment, because that's a no no. Anyway, guess, I'm the one who needs things explained s-l-o-w-l-y to . Please accept my apology.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

lol, this is tricky dictum that not everyone may know...

fart smeller = smart feller [fellow]
Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by joecar
lol, this is tricky dictum that not everyone may know...

fart smeller = smart feller [fellow]

Yah, I should have slowed down. I knew that.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Banned

Its ok but honestly I know of quite a few dealers that always reuse the head bolts. I said that because you gave good advice and figured you reused um too.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

I’ve been looking everywhere and can’t locate the stock ls2 spec for piston to cylinder wall clearance I would assume it’s something close to your posted numbers?
Originally Posted by noice

Old 12-05-2018, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

heykw- Call WS6store and they would tell you what you want to know. No sense posting in about 6 OLD threads for the same answer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cylinder wall scuffing, how deep is too deep that a 3.905 resize cant cure?