Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Castech heads...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Castech heads...

Well, Its been a while since Ive posted here. I sold my TA and all but have given up on hot rodding. Getting old and children will do that to you. My brother has an 04 chevy truck with the 5.3. Im afraid he has cracked head syndrome. I have not pulled the valve covers yet to look but its got the classic signs...going through a ton of coolant and no smoking, no visible signs of leaks anywhere. Im pretty sure Ive never heard of any of these newer motors having head gasket problems. I cant see a truck with 88k on it needing head gaskets. Hes taking it to the shop tomorrow to do a pressure test which im sure will probably show "good" if the engine is cool. I guess what Im asking is which casting numbers do I need to try and avoid or if anyone can give me a few suggestions on where to get a decently priced set of remans? I used to get all my bolts, gaskets, etc from scoggin dickey back in the day. I may check there real quick. Its bone stock and is never going to be modded in any way. If your wondering why I didnt ask on a truck site, its because Ive always trusted the people on here more than others. It seems Ive always gotten good advice here. I did a few searches on the truck sites and and read the replies and it sounded like most of them worked at pep boys or something.

thanks
matt
Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mite be head gaskets.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its always possible but I just dont see it happening. I know of three different people who have had cracked heads on theirs...all of which were pretty low mileage. Usually a bad gasket will at least smoke a little.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it depends on how much you or he is willing to spend. If it were me and I was going to swap heads I would want to upgrade for a little more power. I would start with TSP but there are plenty of sponsors that sell 5.3 heads.

I have an 04 Silverado also, so far so good...
Old 11-22-2010, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbandit98
its always possible but I just dont see it happening. I know of three different people who have had cracked heads on theirs...all of which were pretty low mileage. Usually a bad gasket will at least smoke a little.

Either use a block tester to check for exhaust gasses in the coolant or pull the valve covers to look for coolant. Castech heads have a casting symbol that looks kinda like a battery that will be on the front of passenger side head and rear of drivers side under the rocker arm rail. You'll need to pull the rockers to see it.

Quick Reply: Castech heads...