Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips for changing the oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any tips for changing the oil pump?

Whats up everyone? Im currently ***** deep into my heads cam install. My buddy and I (my buddy is a mechanic..im not..) got the heads off, the cam swapped and then we called it quits for the day....So last night I got the oil pump off, the pickup tube bolt out without dropping it..... and i put the new chain on, lined up the dots, and tried to put the oil pump on....To make a long story short, i cannot get this thing on for the life of me. The pickup tube is blocking it even when i push it down, and i dont want to hurt the o ring or the pump itself....any tips? I was messing around with it for like an hour last night until i was ready to lose it.

Ps....I unbolted the oil pan so i could lower it...and i can pry it down, but it doesnt want to stay down....i took out the 2 bellhousing bolts, and unbolted 10 bolts i think, not all the way though...did i miss something?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I put the pump on part way, nudge the tube down a bit and then rotate the pump onto the tube. Make sure the o-ring is on the tube and well lubricated. I used Redline assembly lube for this. If you are really concerned, you can use the old o-ring for a few trial attempts to get down the method then install with the new o-ring.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man.....any idea about why my stupid oil pan wont stay down? Do you know how many bolts are supposed to be in this thing.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure to remove all of the oil pan bolts.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Just get the oil pan down as low as you can and then take a little pair of needle nose pliers and grab the bolt about mid-way of the threads on the bolt. Using the needle nose, guide the bolt in it's hole and then you should be able to start threading the bolt without worry of dropping the bolt in the pan. I had my bolt in in about 2 minutes this way. Hopefully you'll have the same luck I did.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Launching!

I stuffed rags in the front part of the oil pan so if i did drop the bolt it had no where to go.