Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can an LS1engine be converted to dry sump oil sys.?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default can an LS1engine be converted to dry sump oil sys.?

can an LS1 or any LSX engine be converted to dry sump oiling sys?

the dry sump LS7 engines do they just have a cover instead of a pan?
I understand the LS7 has a oil canister I'm curious about the pump.

doe's the LS7 have a conventionale oil pump located on the crank snout?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i did a search in this section and found several threads on dry sump, but none that drew very many replies. A search in the Generation IV Internal section yields more threads - here is one:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pump-ls1.html

There is of course the Accusump by Canton Racing as a poor man's dry sump.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

provided theres funding and room in the proper areas in the engine bay, any engine can be converted. I don't see the point for an old spash oiled chev engine, since you'd kill it that way lol.

But, for any pressure oiled system where its either seeing too many g's to control the oil properly, or its seeing extreme angles, you can do it.

You need a scavenge pump, usually multiple stages for a better system, (ls7 is one) an oil tank, and either a pressure pump, usually as part of the same assembly for the scavenge pumps, or feed the return line back to the stock pump, if its adequate.

Your scavenge lines have pickups where its most likely the oil will be, ie a roundy round pan would typically have its pickups on the pass side of the pan.

There are far more and better kits than the ls7 system.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default project car MK4

Originally Posted by Darkman
i did a search in this section and found several threads on dry sump, but none that drew very many replies. A search in the Generation IV Internal section yields more threads - here is one:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pump-ls1.html

There is of course the Accusump by Canton Racing as a poor man's dry sump.
nice link and thanks for the thread however, this Accusump is additional to the current oil sys. correct?
I want to use an LS based motor preferable LS1 or LS3. promblem is the big oil pan on either won't be acepted on the project car (MK4) engine cradle.

? how much smaller is the LS7 oil pan?

Thanks

Originally Posted by The_Rizzle
provided theres funding and room in the proper areas in the engine bay, any engine can be converted. I don't see the point for an old spash oiled chev engine, since you'd kill it that way lol.

But, for any pressure oiled system where its either seeing too many g's to control the oil properly, or its seeing extreme angles, you can do it.

You need a scavenge pump, usually multiple stages for a better system, (ls7 is one) an oil tank, and either a pressure pump, usually as part of the same assembly for the scavenge pumps, or feed the return line back to the stock pump, if its adequate.

Your scavenge lines have pickups where its most likely the oil will be, ie a roundy round pan would typically have its pickups on the pass side of the pan.

There are far more and better kits than the ls7 system.
funding sounds expensive. I haven't even checked prices on what the LS7s are going for.

it's not a g force issuse it's a to large of an oil pan issuse for this project car, however I'm thinking this is a supioer way of oiling.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my ls6 is converted to dry sump. check out ARE website, they make the sump and scavenge pump kit for the ls1/ls6 etc.
not cheap though, with oil coolers and lines my dry sump kit cost me just over £2500.
you need a full kit with room to mount the external oil tank somewhere and -12 and -10 lines to and from the block/pump to tank etc.
mine runs 4-5bar oil pressure at all times on track no matter how hot the oil gets which is what i need for track use.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
nice link and thanks for the thread however, this Accusump is additional to the current oil sys. correct?
Correct, the Accusump option will do nothing to reduce the physical size of the current oil pan or other oiling system components.

Quick Reply: can an LS1engine be converted to dry sump oil sys.?