Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing oil pan gasket with a cherry picker.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing oil pan gasket with a cherry picker.

Hey everyone i have the tranny dropped in my 99 trans am to fix a leak on the back off my engine. I believe my oil pan gasket is also leaking and might as well fix that also while i am in there. Since i have the tranny removed and access to a cherry picker can i just loosen the motor mounts and hoist the engine up a few inches to give me the room needed to change the oil pan gasket? if so, how should i do this where should i attach the picker to and where are the motor mounts located. thanks!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:42 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not think you're going to be able to get it like that thanks to the windage tray and pick up tube being in the way. In your current situation, the most fathomable way would be to hook the picker to the engine, raise it slightly, and drop the k-member out. I've done them like that before.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Traditionally, the tranny is still mounted which gives you stability in the rear and gives you a pivot point as you pick up on the front of the motor. With the trans gone, if you loosen the motor mounts and start lifting you are gonna get the engine crooked real quick and its gonna be hard to control its movement bc of the awkward way you are lifting it. Motor and k-member need to be separated at least a few inches before you can snake the pan out the back. I would say at least 4-5 inches.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

okay so your saying it may actually be harder to fix the gasket with the tranny removed. If thats the case i might as well get the tranny all bolted back up and then worry about the oil pan correct?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:17 AM
8 Second Club

the easiest way is to barrow a engine brace from someone brace the motor to the 2 strut towers and drop the k member out to do it.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man this sounds like much more work then fixing the rear main i am doing now. LOL I guess i will go ahead and get this rear main fixed, put it all back together drive it for awhile longer then when i have had time to love my car again, attempt the oil pan! lol
Old 11-25-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

i did this about 5 times in one week on my friends 00 camaro. this is very simple and will take about 1 1/2 to complete. first get the cherry picker and get the engine as high as possible.

2 take off the wheels
3 take off the sway bar end links
4 unbult the 2 bolts that hold in the springs/shocks
5 unbolt the upper control arm and let the spindle drop but hold it in place with some tire wire so u dont break the brake hose
6 unbolt the 1 bolt that hold the steering linkage together
7 there r three bolts one each side of the car that hold the k member into place. put the jack under the middle of the k member and take out the 3 bolts on each side
8 lower the jack and the k member will litteraly fall out of the car if u dont stop it. just lower the k member as low as necessary to get the pan out ( approximatly 5inch.

ik this seems like a long process but there is nothing difficult about it it just takes some time. good luck and we wish u the best!!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow you are the first to say you thought it was easy! thanks for giving me hope! i may try to do it this weekend. fastdriver, would you say in your opinion that the difficulty would be the same whether or not the transmission is there or not?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is a sticky about changing rod bolts in car,maybe do a search for it.it had good pics.also consider changing your rod bolts .
Old 11-25-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trey1010
wow you are the first to say you thought it was easy! thanks for giving me hope! i may try to do it this weekend. fastdriver, would you say in your opinion that the difficulty would be the same whether or not the transmission is there or not?
is the bellhousing still on the motor?f cause if that is not on the car is sooooo much easier. but if its still on the motor its nbd. the only reason the guys r saying its harder is because the engine may move more and getting the motor mounts to line back up will be a challenge.

1 if the bellhousing is still on the motor then put the transmission on first
2 if its not on the motor then just take down the pan as it is now. its really not that hard and if u have any question give me a call/txt 15163057963. the only thing u need to look for when u drop the k member is the power steering lines. the k member will only go as far as those lines go so dont stretch them
Old 11-25-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you I appreciate all the help and no the belhousing is removed also. I would just like to get the tranny in as soon as possible so I can at least drive and then worry about the oil pan on the next oil change
Old 11-25-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trey1010
Thank you I appreciate all the help and no the belhousing is removed also. I would just like to get the tranny in as soon as possible so I can at least drive and then worry about the oil pan on the next oil change
just be carefull if its leaking into the bell housing it could interfere with the clutch
Old 11-25-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock k-memb. or after market. We took out the pan and replaced the oil pump o ring with the engine in the car. Didn't have to drop the k-memb or undo the motor mounts . We have an after market K- memb. We did have to drop the sway bar and undo the steering shaft and move the steering rack, but not un hook any of the lines.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I sadly have the stock k-member so i guess i will definately have to remove the darn thing. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
there is a sticky about changing rod bolts in car,maybe do a search for it.it had good pics.also consider changing your rod bolts .
These write ups are presuming the transmission is still in the car.

Quick Reply: changing oil pan gasket with a cherry picker.