Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longevity question - street & light track use.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longevity question - street & light track use.

I have 99 Corvette, 6 speed with 30,000 miles on it. Ran a best of 12.61 with an LS6 manifold, Vararam, no tune on cool day with drag radials. Just installed a set of long tube headers. I am planning on doing a cam and heads combo soon. I will take it back to the track for a few passes and would like to see a high 11. After that it’s a weekend street driven car. I get on it from a roll ususaly on the street as traction is just not there from a dig. I don’t go crazy, but I don’t baby it.

I feel with proper heads and cam selection and a good tune it will be putting down around 400hp to 425hp.

My question is how well will the stock rear end, trans and clutch hold up?
Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go over 400 rwhp and tq, it will not hold for very long! i am getting 399 and 389 with 3 basic mods done to my 04 ls1, And you should see alot more than that if you do heads and cam. my shop is trying to get me to go with a ls2 head, they said i would pick up around 35 to 45 hp and tq with my settup, and about 15 to 20 with the fast 90 intake. Now back to the rearend. It will hold up unless there is alot of miles on it, the rearend will be good as long as you do not wheel hop it very much. that will kill a irs rearend quick!
And 11's will be easy when you start getting up over 400 hp in your light ash car! good luck and do not be suprised to see mid 11's. My 04 gto does mid 12.s and smokes the nitto's for 3 gears.