Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost ready to pull the motor. A few quick questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost ready to pull the motor. A few quick questions.

Just about got it ready to get the motor and tranny out. I'm going to be pulling them out together. Just have to disconnect a couple more harnesses, drop the driveshaft, take off the alternator, and take out the shifter. I'm going to remove the hood for extra clearance. Looks like I'll have to unbolt the steering linkage as well as it looks like it's in the way. Having a little trouble with a couple of things...

1. What is this harness? It is on the passenger side of the oil pan. I'm assuming it's a low oil level indicator. I can't figure out how to remove the damn thing. Any idea how?

2. Where in the hell are all the bolts for the alternator? I've looked around and could only find three connecting it to the block. Removed them and it still won't come off.

3. I removed the nuts on the stock torque arm on the bolts connecting it to the rear end. The bolts are too long to be taken out of the top of the arm. How do you get them out?

4. Any advice from anyone who has taken the motor out of the top? Anything would be appreciated!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

question 4. disconnect the shocks and lower the rear down
Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

1. you are correct, low oil sensor. there should be a little opening on the big nut to stick a little screw driver in there and lift up on the clip to take it out.
2. not sure how many bolts there are but there should be another bracket i think that connects to it and carefull not to rip that one wire plug and the ground strap.
3. you could have just removed it from the tranny, easier.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

2. it has 2 bolts going through the alt and in smaller bolt on the back of it that supports it to the block
3. yes just unbolt if from the back of the transmission that would be much easier and just leave the torque arm hooked to the rear end
4. why not pull it out the bottom much easier motor, tranny, headers, acc's, and wiring all come out the bottom together
Old 12-05-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1. Use a pocket screwdriver or a small flathead screwdriver to remove the plug.

2. There are 2 15mm bolts on the front, a 13mm on the back, a 1/2" holding the connector to the back, and the 1 wire connector at the top. and then it's just wedged in there. Use a bigger flathead to pop it out. You won't have to remove anything else, and then bring it through front of the bracket and out through the bottom. It's not real easy but if you do it enough times you know it by heart. Trust me I know from experience.

3. Drop the rear end down by removing the shock mounts as someone said earlier, but you can also remove it from the transmission.

4. It's easier to remove the engine/trans from the bottom, why not do that? There's really not enough room to remove it from the top since the eninge is so far back.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys! Found that pesky alternator bolt this morning and got that oil level indicator removed.

I am also installing an aftermarket torque arm so that is why I need to remove the whole thing.
Also, I have already stripped down a LOT of this motor looking for a problem a while back, so out the top is definitely going to be easier. Here is a picture from the top of what is already out...