Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Better buy?

Which do you think will make the most power, they are about the same price.
PP 59cc Stage II LS6 style or Absolute stage II 5.3's

I seem to see more consistency from Absolutes products but the Patriots are "LS6 style" I realize everyone is biased on way or the other, but which is the better buy? I have read tons of threads bashing patriots so I am looking for other options under 2k.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Look at the dynos and track times of both (outside of the top 1 or 2 cars with each head) and ask yourself a few questions. Are these heads proven to repeatably dyno high and run good ETs? What is the opinion of people who have actually owned the heads, did they perform as they should? Lastly, dollar per HP, which is a better bargain?

Using these criteria, I chose AS. Not to mention they have a sale going on right now, several hundred dollars cheaper than the PP "LS6" heads. I would also look into the TEA heads, those are doing really well lately.

Shawn
Old 02-05-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolute Speed is what i have on the way. I still have yet to see someone that is not satisfied with their AS heads, PP on the other hand while they have had a few really good dyno numbers just haven't been as consistent as i would like to see. On top of that Jay seems like a real good honest guy and has answered all of my question up to this point. We'll see in hopefully another month what kind of numbers i can put down with my AS heads and X3 cam.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Restricted User

Absolute Speed
Old 02-05-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

PP vs Absolute?

Absolute hands down based on the results posted from dyno & track times. The Absolutes will flow more thru the intake manifold than the PP's will and have far greater potential to make more power.

TEA 1.5 are also well worth considering as they also show excellent results! Even with hand touch ups the TEA's 1.5's are very competive price wise with PP's welded up LQ9/LS6 style head.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Absolute Speed it is,
I was leaning that way but I am always so damn indecisive. I have read all the other posts and got the general feeling that the absolutes are the way to go but the fact that the Patriots are LS6 style through me. I need to look into TEA still. Looking to buy at the end of this month, hopefully I can still get in on the Absolute deal going on.

Has anybody run the Stage 2.5 Absolutes yet?
Old 02-05-2004, 10:09 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i cant ****** believe it, a PP vs AS head thread and no pissing matches yet. the PP 5.3's to me are the better bargin then the PP ls6-esque heads. those new TEA heads are nice too, just too much money .
Old 02-06-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

those new TEA heads are nice too, just too much money
That’s exactly it, I know certain heads are definitely superior, but the gain vs. the extra cost. I think I will be very happy will the absolutes, but I probably would be with the patriots as well, another 10 ponies would be nice but not if they cost me another 500+. I think I just have to go with whats reliable, which looks like the absolutes. Also, I sure as hell don’t want to be one of those guys with a heads/cam car under 400!

Last edited by SSInnovations; 02-06-2004 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

To be quite honest here. I have the PP 5.3's. But I also have not heard any complaints about the Absolute or TEA heads either. I think any 3 of those will be fine.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:47 PM
jfm
10 Second Club

Absolute Speed 5.3 heads all the way,give Jay a call and I bet you order them.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok if you want dependability and proven performance its ABSOLUTE SPEED all the way. but if you want a cheeper WELDED ls6 wanna be head with inconsistant power you could go with pp heads.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

If you are wanting the "best buy" I think I'd check into the Patriot 5.3 heads and have Terry do his "hand touch up" on them. I know all the absolute speed "salesmen" would lead you to belive that there is problems with the welding of the LS6 style head's chambers, but there hasn't been a SINGLE PROVEN case of any problem with the welding. I've had mine for a while now, and there isn't any problems on them. I like patriot heads, and they LOVE absolute.. so they will say whatever they need to in order for you to buy "their" heads. Call Absolute, then call patriot and tell Terry what Jay has to say about his heads, I think you'll get two different stories.. only one of which can be proven.

Mike, JFM.. you guys have said before you know of problems with the welded chamber... prove it or shut the hell up.
btw, I love you guys and you get an A+ for effort.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am surprised it took this long for someone to root in favor of PP heads.
Well the odds were like 10 AS vs 1 PP.
I am gonna even those odds up a bid.
NOT, are you kidden me why is there even a debate here.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with the PP heads.
I am very impressed that they made a 6.0 liter head into a LS6 head and did it for the customer. We now have another option in heads. I personially believe that is great.
Sure they did produced this to make money but at the same time it is nice to have another option. The 6.0 LS6 head is a better head stock vs stock. and possiblely a few months down the road the PP heads will be one of the top dawgs.
Absolute is there now. Even though the PP head is a better head stock for stock Jay makes his 5.3's better after porting. Just look at the results at the track and on the dyno.
For the price I believe you cant go wrong either way. Both are going to give you results no other head will give you for the dollar.
Your geting a awsome deal either way. I also like the fact that Absolute's heads flow so well through the intake. A big plus. I would suggest you call both companies and swing which ever direction you feel most comfortable with.
My money is on Absolute, but if they didn't exist somehow it would be with PP.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=gomer] I like patriot heads, and they LOVE absolute.. so they will say whatever they need to in order for you to buy "their" heads. Call Absolute, then call patriot and tell Terry what Jay has to say about his heads, I think you'll get two different stories.. only one of which can be proven.[QUOTE]

gomer you are so predictable its pathetic, 1st off you are the biggest PIMP on ls1tech. I love my absolute speed heads because i bought 1 set and made the power i was supposed to. you had to buy 6 sets of heads to be happy with yours. and as for the welded chambers, ask Terry about the set of heads sent back to him with the 1's stamped on the side of them, they were soft as a cusion. The seats were sinking into the head. do you even have a clue as to what will happen next? that is one set of heads that i had in my hands and was shown to alot of other people. the customer wanted to get his $$$ back and was only offered another set of heads so he took them. so yes JFM and i will agree with the fact that we do love our ABSOLUTE SPEED heads. another thing is i also would recomend TEA, GTP, JPR heads over the pp heads.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike m
as for the welded chambers, ask Terry about the set of heads sent back to him with the 1's stamped on the side of them, they were soft as a cusion. The seats were sinking into the head. do you even have a clue as to what will happen next? that is one set of heads that i had in my hands and was shown to alot of other people. the customer wanted to get his $$$ back and was only offered another set of heads so he took them. so yes JFM and i will agree with the fact that we do love our ABSOLUTE SPEED heads. another thing is i also would recomend TEA, GTP, JPR heads over the pp heads.
This isn't the first time you have mentioned the heads with 1's stamped on them. I called Terry and ask him about those last week. He said no one had sent any heads back and he didn't know what you were talking about. Are you saying that Terry was lying to me over the phone? So, let me get this straight.. You sent a set of heads back to Terry with the #1 stamped on them, but he said there is no such heads in his shop, this is what he told me over the Phone Tuesday afternoon when I called him to ask him about them. And as far as "pathetic" goes, maybe you should do a search under your username and take about an to read some of your propaganda.

Now, tell me more about these "phantom" #1 heads.
btw.. I'd rather have metal welded into my head any day than epoxy smeared into the intake runners
Old 02-06-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok ask him about robferetti's original set of heads
why did the head gaskets keep blowing, why did the heads only flow 270 cfm? and why were all of the seats sunk. and why did they fail the hardnest test? so yes terry was lying to you. there were 5 people who looked at these heads and 3 of them are sponsors on this board so hoepfully they will chime in here.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gomer
btw.. I'd rather have metal welded into my head any day than epoxy smeared into the intake runners
especially since there is an explosion of fuel in your intake runner
Old 02-06-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh so why do pro stock/ winston cup race cars use port epoxy? they dont weld there chambers thats for sure.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike m
ok ask him about robferetti's original set of heads
why did the head gaskets keep blowing, why did the heads only flow 270 cfm? and why were all of the seats sunk. and why did they fail the hardnest test? so yes terry was lying to you. there were 5 people who looked at these heads and 3 of them are sponsors on this board so hoepfully they will chime in here.
I don't like to be lied to, so please have everyone that knows about this to post up. If in fact it is true.. I'd really like to know all about it since I am running a set of those heads on my car.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

SSInnovations, I hope you got some help from the first few posts as now this thread will turn into a useless argument. If I was you I would not return to this thread as no more usefull information will be available.