Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help ASAP please, I have pictures inside

Old 12-12-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need help ASAP please, I have pictures inside

I was using the all thread rod and nuts to pull the crank pulley on.

There is a large washer seated against the crank pulley hub, then a smaller washer and then the nut.....

I threaded the rod all the way in the crankshaft threads, then backed it out four turns and used the two nuts on the end to start pulling the pulley hub on... the first two times I did this the hub went on about 1/4 inch each time, the third time it got really hard to turn so I tried to back out the rod and it will not back out???? I need some help please

I dont think the crank threads could be stripped beacuse I am only using a 12" cresent wrench. Here are some pictures so you can get an idea what I am doing.......

Old 12-12-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should be turning the nut against the hub and holding the double nuts to keep the threaded rod from turning. Have you tried loosening the nut that is against the hub? Not sure if you can get a wrench on it but try that first. This won't put any load on the threads if you can turn it.

If that doesn't work, it sounds like the threaded rod bottomed and you will need to back it out by turning the double nuts.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You should be turning the nut against the hub and holding the double nuts to keep the threaded rod from turning. Have you tried loosening the nut that is against the hub? Not sure if you can get a wrench on it but try that first. This won't put any load on the threads if you can turn it.

If that doesn't work, it sounds like the threaded rod bottomed and you will need to back it out by turning the double nuts.
There is no way to turn the nut that is up against the hub, it is 2" inside the pulley hub?

The nut that is against the hub is all the way backed out so there are now three nuts on the end of the rod, the rod is still stuck inside the crankshaft threads..... what do I do???
Old 12-12-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your nut that is now seated against the puller toward the crank snout is acting like a jam nut. I don't know how the hell your going to be able to turn that nut now. You've actually tried turning the rod with the nuts on the end? And it wont move?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jam the two nuts at the end of the all thread together and put the wrench on the nut closest to the pulley and try and back the all thread rod out of the crank. The idea is the put the all thread in and then use the nuts you can't reach to evenly press it on the crank snout. You will need a piece of thick wall pipe to space those nuts out so you can get a wrench on them. So here is what it would look like. Put the all thread rod into the crank snug. Slide a heavy flat washer against the pulley hub. slide the heavy pipe spacer against the flat washer. Add another flat washer and your tightening nut. Don't allow the all thread to turn, just the nuts. Good luck
Old 12-12-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Greekey
Your nut that is now seated against the puller toward the crank snout is acting like a jam nut. I don't know how the hell your going to be able to turn that nut now. You've actually tried turning the rod with the nuts on the end? And it wont move?
I do realize NOW that I should NOT have been turning the whole rod, just the nut

I did get that nut off so all three nuts are at the far end of the rod,, my only problem now is that the all thread rod is stuck into the crankshaft thread.

I cant back the rod out of the crank????

Last edited by Blue2002SS; 12-13-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Try the tool from dirttrackracer, its high quality and affordable. And it will prevent this from being an issue ever again.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the quick replies and help. I ended up getting some penetrating oil sprayed on the bolt tapped it lightly with a rubber hammer sprayed some more tapped some more let it sit an hour sprayed and tapped it.... well you get the idea. a couple hours later it finally backed out of the crankshaft. tomorrow I am going to run a tap though it to clean the threads and seat the pulley properly lol
Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Instead use the threaded rod or a bolt to check the threads in the crank. It will go right in if the threads are OK. I think you simply bottomed the threaded rod out against the bottom of the hole. The tap will remove material which you don't want to do.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I tried to thread a clean rod into the crank and it only goes in about 3/4 of an inch, then it starts to get difficult to turn (by hand) wich makes me think there is debris in there.

I already took a air hose and put it all the way to the bottom of that hole and blasted air,,, I had some small metal chuncks fly out in to the waiting towel.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:24 AM
11 Second Club

Why don't you just use your old crank pulley bolt to tighten it on. That's what I did and most people I've seen do.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What he said. In the beginning you wanna use the tool because it prevents damage to the threads of the crank. I use the tool like you until the pulley was atleast half way on then i started to have your same issues. Then i just used the old crank bolts because it could grab enough thread not to hurt the crank everything went on great after that.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
Why don't you just use your old crank pulley bolt to tighten it on. That's what I did and most people I've seen do.
The threads in the crank have no problem holding the force of the pulley being tightened down. Its the problem of them twisting/turning while exerting this force, i.e. using the old crank bolt. That is incorrect and just plain dumb. The right tool is cheap enough to warrant a purchase. And just bc you think "most" people do it the wrong way doesn't make it right and doesn't make it necessary for you to spread incorrect info.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

I've done this way 3 times on my engine and know about 10 others that have done it no problem with theirs also. It works. Just cause it's not the proper way doesn't mean it's the wrong way. As long as you take your time and careful torquing the bolt, it'll work.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its the wrong way. You can sugar coat the **** however you want. Just bc you and whoever you know haven't screwed up any crank threads yet, consider yourself lucky. I have seen enough "damaged crank threads" posts in my few short years around here. If you want to do it your way thats great. But I don't think doing anything the wrong way should be advice you readily hand out.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used the longer bolt method when I first started working on these motors. It worked great several times until the time it wiped out the threads in a crank shaft. Its really not worth the risk of taking out the threads in the crank shaft. The price of any tool that presses the pulley on greatly over weighs the cost of a tap that you more than likely have to order and your time of trying to fix the crank shaft.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
Epic fail.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:36 AM
11 Second Club

**** it. Do however you want. It's just a suggestion that worked for me a couple times and was cheap.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Get a piece of all thread about 1 1/2 foot long, thread it in to the crank, get about 5-7 washers and a nut for the all thread.

Grease all the washers and nut up and tighten the nut down. You may have to cut the all thread off as you tighten down.

Lock the flywheel and tighten the bitch down.

Depending on what bolt you have depends on what you do next.

Put some red loctite on the threads. If using a ARP bolt put moly lube under the bolt head and washer.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Or just buy this beauty:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...ller-tool.html

Search this Thread