Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

408 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 408 stroker

Sorry if this a common post as I have found many threads on 408 strokers while searching just looking for some feedback right now. I do have a truck but I think there is more info on strokers here than at PT. Currently I have an 01 LQ4 that needs a rebuild and at first was wanting to just do heads, cam, and pistons the usual. I was searching around and found this 408 kit for $1049. Since I was looking at flat tops that cost around $600, this stroker kit did not seem like much more of an investment. I would like to complete this build but may or may not be able to do it all at once and I was wondering if I could install this kit, new cam, and everything else necessary for a rebuild, and later down the road upgrade my heads. I would like to get L92s. Basically what I am asking is what is the bare minimum to install this kit and have my truck street worthy. i.e. is there anything specifically I have to do to the engine now that I have a stroker versus just doing a normal engine build. I am new to strokers any only have relative knowledge of internal engine building so bare with me. Thanks a lot for any help.

408 Stroker Kit
Probe Pistons
FlatTop or Dish
Eagle Cast Steel Crank
4" Stroke
Eagle SIR 6.2" Rods
King Street Performance Bearings
Mahle File Fit Rings

I am having second thoughts on this kit but my question still remains since other kits arent much more $$. Also I have a machine shop to do any machine work, but I will be doing the labor myself.

Last edited by Will Rochester; 12-12-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an ok deal money and product wise. You can do it. Your comp is going to be quite a bit higher, a little clearance for rods at cylinder. Always lots of things to consider to keep from having to redo stuff as you progress...l92 pistons need larger valve reliefs than what many pistons have. Much depends on cam you select and heads.