Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advise plz...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default advise plz...

let me start off by saying that i have smoke coming from my breather. from what ive read on here that means bad, as in my piston rings are shot. would seafoaming my engine remedy that problem? i here +,+,+,+ then a - about seafoam but would seafoam actaully help my blow by problem with my piston rings or does it mean rebuild which i dont have a shop, equipment, tools, time, or money to do. thanx
Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"smoke" from a breather is normal....
the purpose is to vent the crankcase pressure and that also means any gasses and atomized oil.
I would bet it its most likely atomized oil... cup a paper towel around it for a few minutes and you will see exactly what it is.

your rings typically go bad when there isnt enough crankcase pressure ventilation...that breather makes it so you dont have to worry about rings going bad from that problem.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The purpose of Seafoam is to decarbonize the motor, and setting aside the issue of whether it actually does so, it would not address the problem of worn rings.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well ive known what it does but ive noticed that it has been smoking more lately so i figured that it meant that the rings are bad.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of "smoke?" Like what does it look like. Im w/ wrapping a paper towel around and seeing what you have accumulate.

As for the seafoam, I use it on a regular basis. I just pulled my heads off my 150k mile, driven hard and raced LS1 for the first time and was shocked at how little carbon build-up there was on the pistons! And I only ran a catch can for 1.5 years of the 6+ Ive owned it.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just black looking smoke. ill try the paper towel trick. i guess if its just black like buildup then its not but if its kinda wet or sticky then its oil
Old 12-16-2010, 11:05 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just built a 408 recently... have less than 3k on it
breathers on Drivers side/passenger side/and the valley cover PCV tube..

I get "smoke" out of both valve covers...and have since first startup...

that "smoke" is oil atomization... not actual smoke. its the reason why your PCV system sucks oil into the intake and why a catch can will only partially help..because the oil is atomized....and will stay atomized as long as it has velocity.

Catch cans work because it gives the oil a surface to stick to and several corners to make before it can get into the intake.... but like I said.. they dont fully work all the time.

I went breathers so I wouldnt have to worry about oil making its way back into my intake...it also means I have to do a little more cleanup than the normal person