Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oh look another ls1 sputtering issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh look another ls1 sputtering issue

Ok here is the story. Car ran fine last friday night and was giving me 0 issues. Fast forward to Saturday I take my roommate to the airport. Car runs fine and after I drop him off at the airport it starts to sputter at wot.
I drive the car to our shop and redo my cooling system and intake. Fast forward to today I start working away on the sputtering. I buy a new coil and start swapping them out. After i swapped out the first coil I fill up with gas. I try to start the car and the only way to get it to start was if I cranked it and held the gas to the floor. Car ran a lot worse. So instead of sputtering under load it would do it while sitting also. Car will idle fine though.
So I finish swapping all the coils. Nothing. Checked the fuel pressure and it sat at 64 psi and would drop to 60 with the car shut off. thought it could be the injectors so I listened to them with a stethoscope and they all sounded the same. Put some heat in the gas and it helped a little bit but it Still runs like crap and if I need to start it I have to hold down on the gas and crank it for 3 seconds. Car idles fine just runs like crap. Also pulled one of the plugs off and it is very black but dry. Any ideas?

I had a buddy of mine look at it and he thinks it is running lean. Possibly o2 sensors?
Also behind the intake I found 2 hard vacuum lines that were not plugged in. One has a 90 degree bend and one is straight. The 90 degree bend one has suction. I looked all over the motor and cant seem to figure out where it goes.
im only running the 2 pre cats.
This is a LS1 swapped E36 BMW and here are the specs.
1998 camaro motor.
Ram Stage 3 clutch.Patriot Stage Two Head & Cam pkg.LS6 style heads with 59cc combustion chambers, 225cc intake/83cc exhaust runners and 2.02" intake/1.57" exhaust valves.cam has a 228°/224° duration at .050", .591"/.583" lift, 112° lobe separation.

Last edited by Zander; 12-20-2010 at 11:06 PM.