Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing directions...maybe staying NA...advice welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing directions...maybe staying NA...advice welcome!

So my original plan was a 5.3l mpt70 rear mount, ls6 cam/springs, super vic. Now that life is starting to get in the way, funds are drawing very low. Im thinking I should switch gears and go with a more aggressive cam, maybe a 100shot. I’d like something higher rev’ing, but for cost sake I’d like to stick with the ls6 springs since I already have them, I also already have the super vic. My car is disgustingly light, and I’d bet I would be happy with just the ls6 cam, but I’d like to get the most out of it NA w/o spending a lot for an hci setup.

I will be searching and reading a lot before I buy anything, but while im at work I figure you guys could give me some quick easy answers.

Things I will be looking into, feel free to give input if you already know it!

How high can the yellow ls6 springs rev w/o valve float?
How big of a cam can I run w/ these springs?

Recommendations for off the shelf cams that would fit both those patameters?

If its not worth sticking with the ls6 springs, what springs should I look into?
And with which cam?

I don’t except you guys to give me all the answers but im sure many of you have gone through this already, and have some insight. Especially if you bought a cam you didn’t like.

Thanks and happy holidays!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GM ASA cam would prolly fit the bill.. Works with the LS6 springs, makes good power & has a fantastic lope.. Would pull nicely to 6.5k & loves the spray... Only thing Im unsure of is how it would work with your intake & C6 manifolds would need to go.

Last edited by MM98; 12-22-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Have you thought about boring it out and using an LS1 rotating assembly? That's a cheap 20ci that will pick up torque pretty much everywhere.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i were to go away from the c6 mani's i would have to custom make my headers. My frame and steering was designed around the motor with the mani's since i planned on the rear mount.

Im going to look into that cam and how it does with the bigger intake.

Also i don't want to tear the motor apart. Its a lower mileage motor. If i were to go that route i would have boughten a much higher mileage for much less $$$.

Thanks guys.