Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 bolt heads on 4 bolt block.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 bolt heads on 4 bolt block.

First off, my apologies if this is the wrong area. I was unsure if internal meant short or long block.
I have not found any information on interchange of heads on blocks. I know that the LSX 6 bolt block takes either 4 bolt heads or 6 bolt heads, but is it possible to go the other way and use the 6 bolt heads on the 4 bolt block? I have looked at them and it APPEARS that they SHOULD, but I do not know, and would be very mad if I spent $2600+ on heads and then couldn't use them. So, can this be done, and if so is anything special required? Like would I have to have the fifth and sixth bolt holes on the heads milled off for any reason or anything weird?
Thanks in advance!
P.S. Don't ask why, that's not the point.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They'll bolt right on, but if they're made for a large bore, they won't work with a small bore block.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes they will bolt right on. You only use the 4 bolts in the block and leave the other two out.

Jon
Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

But why?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
But why?
Because you can buy the best heads you can afford, once! Then when you have the coin to upgrade the short-block to a 6-bolt block, you already have the heads and just need the head bolts/studs and you're ready to rock without spending another $2000+ for heads!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

I know which heads you're looking at. Don't do it. Trust me
Old 12-28-2010, 10:55 AM
FormerVendor

I don't... Which ones?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Lincolnman
P.S. Don't ask why, that's not the point.
But why?
Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Because you can buy the best heads you can afford, once!
See it now?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See it now?
Ahh, yes. Thanks.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Is it possible to modify a 4 bolt block to use all the 6 bolt head studs? For example, take the 4 bolt block and machine the extra 2 holes needed for the 6 bolt head. This way you don't need to buy a new block and will have the clamping force by using all 6 bolts? I'm not sure where they put the extra 2 bolts, but seems like if there is enough meet in the block it would be a feasible and cost effective way to add more clamping force.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
They'll bolt right on, but if they're made for a large bore, they won't work with a small bore block.
I am aware of that, I figured on a Darton sleeved block.

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I know which heads you're looking at. Don't do it. Trust me
You do!? Okay, why not?

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
I don't... Which ones?
Let's wait and see if he is right.

Originally Posted by gpr
Is it possible to modify a 4 bolt block to use all the 6 bolt head studs? For example, take the 4 bolt block and machine the extra 2 holes needed for the 6 bolt head. This way you don't need to buy a new block and will have the clamping force by using all 6 bolts? I'm not sure where they put the extra 2 bolts, but seems like if there is enough meet in the block it would be a feasible and cost effective way to add more clamping force.
Well, technically with metal ANYTHING is possible. You could even melt it and recast the block as new. Practically though -no. As far as I know it is not because the two outermost holes are in machined bosses that do not even exist on a normal 4 bolt block. The inner two bolts (valley pan side) exist on at least some blocks (maybe not all), only cover two cylinders per side instead of 4, and they appear to be too small to do anything with anyway. Regardless, without the outer ones even if you COULD use the inner bosses drilled and tapped you would wind up with a non-concentric 5 bolt pattern on the center two cylinders and only 4 on the outer cylinders, leading to incredibly improper torque loading and failure.
Nice try, though.
Take a look at these for reference.
LS3 Block - note the bosses on the intake side that are lacking on the the outer side of the block and also on the front and rear cylinders.

LSX Block - look at the location for the extra two bolts per cylinder.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gpr
yes it is possible. The block in the picture started out as an ls2 block. we releeved it to 4.125 bore. Strengthened the deck and added provisions for 6 bolt heads

Name:  3-17-10009.jpg
Views: 6240
Size:  74.8 KB
Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
yes it is possible. The block in the picture started out as an ls2 block. we releeved it to 4.125 bore. Strengthened the deck and added provisions for 6 bolt heads
I'll bite - what were the provisions? You machine bolt "tabs" and then TIG them on a heated block?
I would like to know more about how you did this and was it just for the purpose of the extra clamping force?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

I'm actually curious how much it cost to modify the aluminum LS2 block (weld/heat treat/drill/tap) and then do all the other typical machine work that any high end build requires...I really haven't seen many strength related bottom end failures in the aluminum blocks, especially not when fitted with billet main caps...if it's a more attractive price than an LSx thats cool...plus it weighs less, which is the attraction of the Warhawk over the LSx...but again, that one costs a lot too...I'm guessing the procedure would be mostly the same for any other production aluminum block, maybe just slightly different prep work to the original casting if it's shaped slightly different (like the 6.2 pictured above with the 2 bosses near the lifters that'd need to be modified)...granted I'm sure there are bottom end strength benefits to the LSx and Warhawk that won't be seen in a modified production block...but for lower 4 digit power builds, they're probably not necessary for a lot of those builds.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you add provisions to lq9 to make it 6 bolt?

Quick Reply: 6 bolt heads on 4 bolt block.