Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max effort n20 6.0L head, need 800 rwhp /w TEA or Absolute

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max effort n20 6.0L head, need 800 rwhp /w TEA or Absolute

Well i guess im changing heads and im very interested in being the one of first ls1 cars in the 8's (and will be my daily driver as well) with Absolute Speed or possibly TEA's heads....for the PSCA Limited Street Class im running here on the west coast (probably the only PSCA car that actually drives on the street)

Im looking for the maximum effort nitrous head from either company. Ive got a 3000lb race weight, 408" ls1, 238/248 @ 114 cammed, everything, th350 auto /w nitrous converter, 28x13.5 slicks etc spraying a 300-400

I sold my old stg2 LPE heads ive had forever and i have a old set of Absoulte Stg 2 heads laying around now...and a set of TEA 1.5's available...
I was going to use a set of 1.5 TEA's or Absolute I have access to pretty cheap but now its looking like an ported 6.0l head might do me alot better, hopefully putting me @ 475 rwhp on motor & 800 rwhp on nitrous.

TEA's new 2.5 looks like it does wonders on nitrous, with Brian claiming 90 rwhp gain with nitrous swapping from a 1.5 head...thata a HUGE gain.

Im guessing Absolutes 2.5/2.75 stage head would have the same results...

Any opinions/observations or info anyone could supply to help influence decision?? (Price is very important to me as im about out of $$)

Last edited by C4VetteLS1; 02-08-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C4VetteLS1

TEA's new 2.5 looks like it does wonders on nitrous, with Brian claiming 90 rwhp gain with nitrous swapping from a 1.5 head...thata a HUGE gain.
I was going to chime in and say this, Brian did some great R&D on his N20 Setup...Check with him.

I have also seen some freaksh numbers from Carteks N20 Packages... I saw a guy put down + 150 RWHP and + 250 Ftlbs of torque on a TNT 100 wet shot and a cartek combo .

Last edited by niphilli; 02-08-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn you are trying to build an 8 second daily driver? shesh, now THAT, not the 800 rwhp, is the biggest feat. i personally wouldnt ever try this. good luck! i just dont see on a huge nitrous shot, that there would be that big of a difference in similar heads. just my .02
Old 02-08-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TEA is your answer
Old 02-08-2004, 07:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
damn you are trying to build an 8 second daily driver? shesh, now THAT, not the 800 rwhp, is the biggest feat. i personally wouldnt ever try this. good luck! i just dont see on a huge nitrous shot, that there would be that big of a difference in similar heads. just my .02
Thats exactly what nineball said. When I told him I went 9.87 @ 138.9 driving my car to the track (and to work as well) with our 5.3 Stg 1.5 head straight off the assembly line, he said "well, no one would ever believe that those Stg 1.5 heads were the same ones everyone else gets" to which I replied "the heads I personally hand finished picked to car up another 90 RWHP" to which he responded "makes it sound more believable"

FWIW, Judson thought I was lying as well, he said it wasn't possible. The exhaust port is my creation, based off of some of my competition level Ford stuff. The exhaust port flowed 240 @ .400" 270 @ .500", to which people will call BS, but then look at the dyno numbers, to which people will call BS, but then look at my broken $3000 Rossler trans, and my broken $1200 rear end, all I needed was one pass.

BTW, that TH350 will never live, it has the same sprag that I broke, the first one Rossler ever saw break in a 4L60E, he said the LPE 8 sec car has never broke one.

If you have a 4.00" bore engine then the full blown Stg 3 with the 2.08 valve would be the way to go. Will make even more power then the 2.5 on a big bore engine. Did I happen to mention that the 90 RWHP gain was with blowing through the convertor?? Would have made even more with a good convertor. Did I happen to mention we have had 12 class champions in the last 2 years? Our competition level stuff is almost impossible to beat. How about a good old fashioned dyno shootout, I will send you a set of our Stg 3 6.0L heads, get a set from Jay and you can throw em both on your dyno, winner takes bragging rights, and of course gets paid. What do you think?

Last thing, I know you have heard of the Fun Ford and NMRA renegade racing series, 306 cu in, .550" hyd cam, one power adder, street heads and factory style fuel injected intakes, etc. Of the 8 or so guys in the country that ran 8's with those rules we did the heads on 6 or 7 of them. The best being Mike Freeman (first 8 sec renegade car ever and did it with N2O), he went blower and ran 8.60 @ 156. I'm ready when you are
Old 02-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Banned

Well youve got my attention....Thats the kind of motiviation i needed on stepping up to the plate on a real set of heads. I'll get ahold of you tomorrow do discuss your stg 3 heads and ive also gotten ahold of jay and i really hope he is interested.

Both of you guys are stand up professionals and have great products. I would love to see if we can put together a 500 rwhp , big converter auto, which will spray into the 800-900 rwhp range. The diamond pistons Chris did me before he left are a max n20 effort triple thick deck, lowered ring lands etc. He says a 400-500 shot is not unreasonable at all....

Also the TH350 in my car is now a Mikes Transmission "Ultimate TH350" after breaking several stocks
http://www.mikestransmission.com/catalog2.html
"ULTIMATE TH350 TRANSMISSION
If you want for a heavy duty, highly modified three speed racing transmission this is the transmission for you! Custom built to work with your particular application.
This transmission features a specially machined high gear piston to hold extra clutches, big
sprag drum kit, roller bearings, instant release transbrake valvebody. Dyno tested! "

If it breaks this tranny he will upgrade me to his Ultimate TH400 which will live through almost anything...

I plan on this achieving my goal of a pump gas daily driver that can run a a 8.99 ET and still go to the store in or out of town to the beach in

Last edited by C4VetteLS1; 02-08-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian is the Super
Old 02-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Sounds like Brian has a god set of heads for you

At 3000 lbs and the combo you have going I don't think high 8's will be a problem with a daily driver. Wade's 99 C5 (3250lb)was driven every day with Hyd. cam and ran 9.21 @ 154 on a street tire 1.50 60ft; stock trans. That engine in the camero with a T-350 and cam change ran 8.70 @ 154; same weight and 1.31 60ft. The vette was making just over 800rwhp and camero just under( moser and T-350). From our testing we did have better luck at the hight N2o hp levels with the LS1 heads instead of the LS6?? these numbers were with LS1 heads and the same valve size Brian described.

You can't go wrong with a set of heads Brian described, we ran some what the same in the above combo.

Good luck and go get'em so to speak
Old 02-08-2004, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i heard a race. hehe
Old 02-08-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You know we will play on Johns N20 408. Get them prepped!
Old 02-08-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

got a coin???? flip it
Old 02-08-2004, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

TEA Stg. 3 6.0 w/Judson port, and Brian's hand finishing...............nuff said!
Old 02-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Banned

Hmmm has anyone actually used the Stage 3 head yet or am I the test bunny?? (i love testing stuff, so id rather be first).

If TEA/Absolute are willing i will love to test this setup and show what a 6.0L head can do on a 4.030"x4.0 408" motor.....I expect to go 9's on motor with these and definately be the fastest all motor street car ive ever seen in person (no solid roller cam, no gutted car, stock type suspension, DOT street tires) etc...

My vette still has power everything, cdplayer/amps/etc...drive it everyday when im not changing parts or motors...
Old 02-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Banned

Spoke to Jay (Absolute) and Brian (TEA) Today.

TEA is up for an all out stage 3 headed stroker dyno shootout.

Looks like we are going to take the best head that TEA has (Stage 2.5 head with a 2.08 valve,which they call a stage 3) and Absolutes best heads and do a back to back dyno comparison on the same dyno, same day. Also Im going to contact Patriot Performance and see if they would be interested in testing thier LS6 Stage 3 head as well on this test, along with any other head producers that would be interested.

Im going to do this with a ls6 intake on both setups with a ported throttle body. And i am going to try and do it with a 90mm FAST LSX intake (i have some 78mm lsx's here) and a 90MM FAST Throttle body as well on the dyno testing. This is all being done on a 11.5:1 91 octane, ls1edit tuned, large cammed, 408 stroker on my dynojet. Im not a producer of any parts, only a retailer so i have no biasedness in anyway...im interested in solid results.

Im going to come back and give full HP/TQ and airfuel/tuning graphs results independantly and unbiased, as im going to stay with and purchase the better head and return the other.
This was brians idea, but im not sure if Jay @ Absolute is willing to send me the best he has. As i plan on purchasing the better of the two and give some good ls1tech results.

Jay @ Absolute : Would you be interested in sending a set of heads for this back to back dyno test ??? I have alot of faith in your heads being a solid contender. And i think a ton of customers would be really interested in seeing the results. Like TEA is interested in testing as well. Please respond with your thoughts.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Spoke to Jay (Absolute) and Brian (TEA) Today.

TEA is up for an all out stage 3 headed stroker dyno shootout.

Looks like we are going to take the best head that TEA has (Stage 2.5 head with a 2.08 valve,which they call a stage 3) and Absolutes best heads and do a back to back dyno comparison on the same dyno, same day. Also Im going to contact Patriot Performance and see if they would be interested in testing thier LS6 Stage 3 head as well on this test, along with any other head producers that would be interested.

Im going to do this with a ls6 intake on both setups with a ported throttle body. And i am going to try and do it with a 90mm FAST LSX intake (i have some 78mm lsx's here) and a 90MM FAST Throttle body as well on the dyno testing. This is all being done on a 11.5:1 91 octane, ls1edit tuned, large cammed, 408 stroker on my dynojet. Im not a producer of any parts, only a retailer so i have no biasedness in anyway...im interested in solid results.

Im going to come back and give full HP/TQ and airfuel/tuning graphs results independantly and unbiased, as im going to stay with and purchase the better head and return the other.
This was brians idea, but im not sure if Jay @ Absolute is willing to send me the best he has. As i plan on purchasing the better of the two and give some good ls1tech results.

Jay @ Absolute : Would you be interested in sending a set of heads for this back to back dyno test ??? I have alot of faith in your heads being a solid contender. And i think a ton of customers would be really interested in seeing the results. Like TEA is interested in testing as well. Please respond with your thoughts.
I really dont think you are going to go 9's N/A on pump gas. So let me put a brush gaurd on the front of my corvette and with the spray I will push you into the 9's.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

I just ordered a set of stg 3 6L heads from Jay today for my 409...

LETS GO RACING!
Old 02-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Banned

Would be a very close contest.
I think this is a great idea and would love to see the results.
You should also have the heads bench tested to see the differences on the same bench.

The only thing I think you are doing wrong is wasting you time with the PP heads.
They cant compete against the 2 top dawgs.

Compete they can, compete against TEA and AS will probally not.
Would be cool to see how much better AS and TEA are then PP
Old 02-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Banned

Good luck geting into the 9's all motor with a LSx style head, pump gas and full weight.
Unless you find 600+ HP out of your motor I dont think you have a chance.
Most people are doing 9's with the same motor plus a decent size of juice.
Unless you know something we dont.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:19 PM
Banned

Actually TEA fully encouraged me to have both sets of heads flow benched on my local bench and share both results good or bad...

Yea..I know the patriots arent really up to that level, but so many people are bent on the "stage 3 ls6 head" they have that maybe they will learn something from it.

I just have to wait for jays reply, because i cannot afford to purchase both sets of heads to do this...I can cover one, but not the cost of both.

TSSovr4U: I went 10.5 on the old 450 rwhp setup....with the nitrous bottle out and 1/4 tank of gas my race weight is 2900 lbs with me in it. If this setup does 490-500 rwhp, i think i will push it near the 9.9's on the transbrake....
Kinda curious have any hydralic cammed n/a cars went 9's on motor yet?
Old 02-09-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Kinda curious have any hydralic cammed n/a cars went 9's on motor yet?
Yep, Colonel did it 2 years ago.
Just curious what track do you run at, I've never seen your car at Fontana or C-Bad and I'm at those tracks a lot. I also don't think you'll run 8's on 91 octane either.

Quick Reply: Max effort n20 6.0L head, need 800 rwhp /w TEA or Absolute